Coop odor control spray at Walmart. Is it safe?

Kirball

Chirping
Jul 29, 2022
image.jpg

Has anyone used this stuff? It says it’s safe to use on your brooder and you don’t need to remove the chicks. For $10.18 seems like it’s worth trying out but at the same time I don’t want to hurt my chicks. They are 4 weeks old now. The ingredients say water, natural enzymes, surfactant, fragrance. Surfactant and fragrance make me a bit wary as there’s no telling exactly what they are.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

If the bedding is dry and fresh and the coop is well ventilated then the coop should not stink.

Birds have VERY delicate respiratory systems. Knowing what fragrance does to me, a human asthmatic, I'd NEVER deliberately attempt to perfume a chicken.
Yeah, that was kind of what I figured. I'm always wary of pet/animal products from Wal-Mart. I picked it up in hopes I'd get some replies that said yeah I've used it for years and had no problems. Kept the receipt it will likely go back on my next trip into town. The problem with ingredients like "fragrance" it's too non specific and could cover just about anything for a little rosemary essential oil to some lab concoction of 1000 chemicals.

Baby chicks sure do make some stinky piles! The way I look at it though, it's temporary (unlike the adult bird coop,) and alternatively I can keep brooder as clean as possible for hopefully less money than that spray. I use a mix of wood chips and sand. When you mentioned Rosemary I had a light bulb moment tho! I wouldn't exactly put it IN the brooder but If you have a lot of natural aromatic stuff on your property like I do, couldn't exactly hurt, depending on what it is, to put some bundles outside of the brooder.... Nothing toxic to them to breath but wouldnt Rosemary, Lemon balm, Lavender, Bergamot, Rose, Sage - all stuff I have growing wild around my property help my own nose? Thanks for the idea!

Brooders get stinky, unfortunately, especially as the chicks gets older and make more and more mess.

At 4 weeks old I'd skip trying to make the brooder more pleasant smelling and be planning on moving them out instead. Don't think there's anywhere in the US right now that isn't warm enough to have chicks that age outside full time.

Back
Top Bottom