Coop on a hill

On the uphill side dig an angled trench and place the soil adjacent to make a berm/ditch type deal to redirect water to flow around the coop area. My coop is at bottom of a big hill and I did this; seems to be working unless its a downpour and water is sheeting off the hill.

Or were you talking about water actually flowing "through the coop" structure, not the run? If so, raise it higher off the ground by jacking it up and adding more blocks.
Was talking about the run. We have been trying to redirect water :/. This hill is killing me. It get so muddy and I have to lay more bedding down for my chickens. Eventually, I hope to close it.

If it's muddy, add arborist wood chips in addition to the water diverting. Wood chips will raise the terrain inside the run above the water, they will decompose slowly and add porosity to the soil, as they decompose the organics and worm activity will loosen and improve the soil even more so water can penetrate. In a year or two you'll be able to harvest soil out of the run and use it for gardening purposes.

The slope on my property is not as steep, but I do get run off from the driveway(will flood the garage if heavy enough).
I have a trench dug off the garage apron and some piping buried in the run to shunt it down slope. Works most the time.

Also have coarse wood chippings in run that can get floated down slope, have had to fork it back up once in awhile.

If it's muddy, add arborist wood chips in addition to the water diverting. Wood chips will raise the terrain inside the run above the water, they will decompose slowly and add porosity to the soil, as they decompose the organics and worm activity will loosen and improve the soil even more so water can penetrate. In a year or two you'll be able to harvest soil out of the run and use it for gardening purposes.
X2

Thank you so much.

We dug out the back wall and stacked concrete blocks like this, to keep water from coming in. The blocks are higher than the dirt, water runs around. For added protection, all the blocks in back are filled with dirt and a layer of roof shingles were added on top, stones piled on top to keep the shingles from going anywhere.

DSCN2196.JPG

DSCN2201.JPG

DSCN2370.JPG

Back
Top Bottom