Coop on a hill

JGreenwell

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2024
Looking for some advice. We build our coop on a hill. I'm looking for a way to help me eventually close the top. Any and all suggestions welcome to stop the water from coming in up from the top. Anyone have the same problem and find a way to fix it? By top I mean the water coming down on the ground through the coop not over head.

Attachments

• 20240403_141230.jpg
    20240403_141230.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 104
On the uphill side dig an angled trench and place the soil adjacent to make a berm/ditch type deal to redirect water to flow around the coop area. My coop is at bottom of a big hill and I did this; seems to be working unless its a downpour and water is sheeting off the hill.

Or were you talking about water actually flowing "through the coop" structure, not the run? If so, raise it higher off the ground by jacking it up and adding more blocks.

I have a similar situation.
Using berms (not beams) and ditches works pretty well.
Create a V shaped berm with the V pointing up hill and the arms on either side of your run.
The water coming down the hill will be diverted by the arms and flow around the run.
It will never be perfect but it is cheap (free) and easy to do.
Depending on soil type you may have to maintain or rebuild the berm from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom