Coop on order....question about the run

arion

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Hi all;

Joined a number of years ago, never got chickens and forgot about the board. Finally decided to take the plunge. Quite a few of my neighbors have chickens and thought it was well past time.

Being single I'm going to get 4 layers and a roo....not because I want to hatch any chicks but I like the ambience and since I intend to let them out for awhile every day the roo will provide some protection. I have the following coop and run on order;

IMG_6210_1024x1024@2x.JPG

https://www.chickencoopcompany.com/...ts/orpington-lodge-chicken-coop-6-12-chickens

It will be arriving by the end of the week. And I intend to go with started pullets and these will need to be cold hardy as I live in the U.P. of Michigan. Looking at a few varieties...whatever is available. Red Star/Black Star/Dominique/Australorp, something along those lines whatever the hatchery has available.

To flesh out the coop/run I'm thinking of metal roofing over the top of the run and then in the winter considering translucent poly-carbonate sheeting around the run and the coop end will be towards the east which is the least likely way the wind is going to come from.

Now...my specific question. I know I need litter in the coop itself and I'm vacillating between sand or wood chips and I've read quite a few of the articles around here already. What about the run? Would you just leave the run just bare ground or would you put woodchips or sand in the run as well?

The other question would be in the winter. Would you only feed/water in the run or would you find a way to feed/water in the coop? Figuring on not heating the coop and it's small enough that four or five chickens should be able to stay warm. Thinking that as soon as the sun comes up I'll open the door and let them either stay in the coop or get down into the run and if the weather is mild to open the run door and let them out. The run is certainly not going to give each chicken 10 sq ft and the coop isn't going to give each chicken 4 sq ft but in nicer weather their going to be out and in real cold weather I doubt they would want to leave the run anyway.

Lot's to learn and looking forward to the experience.

I would put hay on the run ground. Chickens will scratch thru it and stay busy. It also makes for cleaner sanitary floor. Wood chips will also work in run. I would also suggest hay in coop. (guess I like hay as a personal preference) When you clean out coop, just let used bedding drop into run area.
Being in cold U.P. It would be a good idea to have water and feed inside coop during winter. You will need to have your water heated and there are a number of ways to do this. Other option during winter would be to bring in water often to chickens throughout the day.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Welcome to BYC! I'm sorry to have to break some bad news but the coop you ordered only has room for 1 chicken. Each bird should have a minimum of 4 sq feet of coop. The dimensions minus nest boxes (which don't count) are 22.5" x 28.5" which is just under 4.5 sq ft. Are you able to return it and get or build something bigger?

There's no way you're going to be able to put food and water inside that coop, nevermind the 5 chickens. Just way too small and it's a shame the company is advertising this as a 6 chicken coop.

As far as the run any sort of bedding is better than bare dirt, which becomes a muddy mess when rain comes and can't be easily cleaned. I use deep litter which makes sense for my climate (I get a lot of rain).

Hi all;

Joined a number of years ago, never got chickens and forgot about the board. Finally decided to take the plunge. Quite a few of my neighbors have chickens and thought it was well past time.

Being single I'm going to get 4 layers and a roo....not because I want to hatch any chicks but I like the ambience and since I intend to let them out for awhile every day the roo will provide some protection. I have the following coop and run on order;

IMG_6210_1024x1024@2x.JPG

https://www.chickencoopcompany.com/...ts/orpington-lodge-chicken-coop-6-12-chickens

It will be arriving by the end of the week. And I intend to go with started pullets and these will need to be cold hardy as I live in the U.P. of Michigan. Looking at a few varieties...whatever is available. Red Star/Black Star/Dominique/Australorp, something along those lines whatever the hatchery has available.

To flesh out the coop/run I'm thinking of metal roofing over the top of the run and then in the winter considering translucent poly-carbonate sheeting around the run and the coop end will be towards the east which is the least likely way the wind is going to come from.

Now...my specific question. I know I need litter in the coop itself and I'm vacillating between sand or wood chips and I've read quite a few of the articles around here already. What about the run? Would you just leave the run just bare ground or would you put woodchips or sand in the run as well?

The other question would be in the winter. Would you only feed/water in the run or would you find a way to feed/water in the coop? Figuring on not heating the coop and it's small enough that four or five chickens should be able to stay warm. Thinking that as soon as the sun comes up I'll open the door and let them either stay in the coop or get down into the run and if the weather is mild to open the run door and let them out. The run is certainly not going to give each chicken 10 sq ft and the coop isn't going to give each chicken 4 sq ft but in nicer weather their going to be out and in real cold weather I doubt they would want to leave the run anyway.

Lot's to learn and looking forward to the experience.

The idea of roofing over the run, and putting plastic walls up to make the run snow free in the winter is excellent. If You don't usually go below zero F, water and feed in the sheltered run and not the coop will work well.

I personally like wood chips and shavings best for bedding, and think that would work well in the run.

Unfortunately , as already pointed out... that coop is crazy small. Especially in cold weather you need much more than 4 square feet per bird.

I find that 9 square feet of snow free space per bird =zero winter issues.

As to breed, of the breeds mentioned, I think Dominique would give you the best chance of a friendly rooster.

Are you able to return it and get or build something bigger?
If this is not an option......

"question about the run"
You could make an 8x10' run with a solid roof(snow bearing) and winter sheathing on sides put that coop/run inside it.
Otherwise it may just get totally buried in snow.

Back
Top Bottom