Coop Predator Proofing

So what I did, and I apologize for not being more clear, is the floor of my run is now hardware mesh. I covered that with mulch, but I assume the chickens will sweep all that mulch away over time and potentially be scratching against the mesh. I've decided to cut that all out this weekend before I put the chicks in the coop. They turn 4 weeks old on Monday, and are already flying up to the top walls of my brooder, so I need to get them into their permanent home this weekend.

I plan on doing the standard apron around the outside perimeter of the run this weekend with the mesh that I have. Is 2 feet wide enough around the perimeter? Trying to dig down a foot to bury the mesh is tough with Georgia clay.

I put HC on the bottom of my run and then covered it with 4 -5 inches of dirt. It took a while but they have dug down to the wire in some spots but their feet are fine. Dirt works better than sand because the chickens will continually stir their poo into the dirt to compost it. If snow melt or heavy rains get into the run I add pine shavings. They get worked into the "compost" as well. I do add a little more dirt every year to bulk up the run.

You don't need to re-do it. What you have will work fine, but in the end, it's up to you.

I totally understand looking at something and wanting it different and not being happy until you change it. I do the same thing!! :)

Timely post. I am building my coop and run right now and just laid out my hardware cloth "apron". Two feet up the wall and two feet out. I am going to use landscape clothstakes to secure it in place and top it with some sod.

Just need to get sidewall materials up and roof on back half (hardware cloth is over front half of roof). Almost done and ready for my 25 five weeks old chicks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_165507479.jpg
    IMG_20200405_165507479.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Timely post. I am building my coop and run right now and just laid out my hardware cloth "apron". Two feet up the wall and two feet out. I am going to use landscape clothstakes to secure it in place and top it with some sod.

Just need to get sidewall materials up and roof on back half (hardware cloth is over front half of roof). Almost done and ready for my 25 five weeks old chicks!

Wow! That looks big! And awesome!!

Wow! That looks big! And awesome!!
Thanks! It is 12'x30' with 6' sidewalls. 360 sq ft, which should be more than enough for my 25 chicks. Since I am going to keep them enclosed 24/7, I wanted to give them a little more room...

I always follow a piece of advice a mentor gave me years ago... Buy once, cry once. Figured I would build it for the future. Will be sure to throw some pictures up once walls and roof are up!

Thanks! It is 12'x30' with 6' sidewalls. 360 sq ft, which should be more than enough for my 25 chicks. Since I am going to keep them enclosed 24/7, I wanted to give them a little more room...

I always follow a piece of advice a mentor gave me years ago... Buy once, cry once. Figured I would build it for the future. Will be sure to throw some pictures up once walls and roof are up!

That looks awesome. Great job, and it certainly looks secure from a predator standpoint.

Free ranging without the hazards of free ranging!

Back
Top Bottom