1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop ramp angle

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PetChickenBoo, Jul 18, 2010.

1. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'm working on building a coop and my chicken door is about 26" off the ground(I have a raised coop). How steep or at what angle should I make the chicken ramp? I don't want them having trouble getting up and down the ramp.

Thanks!!

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I can't help you on that one, my coop is dirt floor. I used a 4' stair riser for the ramp to the roost, but they fly up to the rabbit cages instead. I even hung the cages lower than the roost, but NOOOOOOO..... they don't use it. I go out at dark and move them to the roost and they fly down the next morning:he:he

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Our ramps are around 45 deg. but I think they will adapt to ramp angle as long as it is not verticle.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There's no set angle. Make it so a dog could use it, or you. Do put some type of grips on it of course...either pieces of wood or you can tack hardware cloth onto it...just something so they can grip onto it easily.

5. ttdavis86

ttdavis86 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    san jose ca
    I was having the same question.. my coop is 3 feet off the ground and i have 6 feet on the ground for the ramp i think that gives me a 2/1 ratio... every 2 feet it will drop one foot.. would it be better to build a shorter steeper ramp or a longer less steep ramp?:confused:

6. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    As long as they have something to grip onto I dont think angle will matter much, just make it reasonable. Being only 26" from the ground, you could just build them a little platform that they have to jump onto to get into the coop?

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Or is yours are like mine they rarely use the ramp going in. They like to get on the side of it and jump up nearly to the door entrance. Coming out they seem to walk down it to the bottom unless they see me coming with the kitchen scrap bucket then Katie bar the door it's fly from the pop door to the gate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by