Coop Reconstruction All suggestions and help welcome (IMAGE HEAVY)

Thanks so much, I've been a bit frazzled lately. I've lurked around but haven't updated in a while.

I'm actually rigging up a shed this weekend as I'm getting some Wyandottes from a dispersal next weekend. Motivation to get this done!

Just found your thread, and read the whole thing. I think you have made great progress, especially with it being winter and you are doing everything yourself! You will have a wonderful, spacious coop when you are done.

Even if it doesn't seem like a huge step to you, show us what you are doing. Thanks for sharing.

A word on using straw as bedding, particularly if using the deep litter method. Straw is an ideal bedding for large/dry animal manure such as horses. It makes a firm "floor" under the manure pile so that a pitchfork can pick up the whole pile of manure, plus straw, and pitch it all in one scoop.

Exactly what makes it ideal for horse manure makes it terrible for chicken manure which is small and wet. You'd get a compacted layer of straw which the manure would sit on top of.

The point of the deep litter method is to have the manure constantly scratched under by the chickens. When fresh manure is scratched under the smell is greatly decreased. So, you want a bedding substance that is small and light weight. I use grass clippings and leaves from my trees because I'm cheap and you can't beat free. Ideally I'd run the leaves through a shredder to make them smaller but I don't have one and it's working fine. If you had access to cheap straw and a shredder this could be an option to make bedding that was more easily turned by the chickens.

Another purpose of the deep litter method is to promote healthy organisms that both compost the bedding and improve the chicken's digestive health, as well as provide some heat during the winter as naturally occurs when things compost. So, you want something like an active compost pile happening in the floor of your coop. For this reason I wouldn't use sand. You've done a huge amount of work digging out dirt you think was contaminated--now you're down to dirt that will be just fine as a base to begin your deep litter upon.

All this to say that I think you can save yourself some money by not buying sand or straw. (Not that they wouldn't LOVE a small sand section to dust bathe in!) I think you mentioned an existing compost pile on the property? I'd move this into the floor of the building to "seed" it with the microorganisms that are needed for composting. Then, I'd start adding lawn clippings/leaves as I had them.

Last thought: you want to encourage the chickens to scratch in their bedding so as to turn under the fresh manure and add oxygen to aid composting so plan to throw down something like kitchen scraps or BOSS or mealworms on their bedding every day or two. (I use kitchen scraps--can't beat free!). If using kitchen scraps I recommend limiting it to only fruit/vegetable items (no meat or dairy) just as I'd put into a compost pile but many people disagree with me and throw in anything.

Good luck! I built my own coop with no help from my husband as he was busy elsewhere and it's still a source of pride for me!

As long as you turn it, the straw will not compact. It mixes with the already broken down straw/manure and over time becomes much easier to work. Turning it really isn't that hard. Dried leaves are even easier though. I rake them in the fall and fill my shed with them. I don't even have to turn those, just add more to the top.

I will keep all of that in mind, including the two different views!

We'll be renting a bush hog come spring to push through all of the grass that's been allowed to overgrow. I believe it has Canola and the like mixed into it. Would I be able to ad this to the top as well?

As long as you turn it, the straw will not compact. It mixes with the already broken down straw/manure and over time becomes much easier to work. Turning it really isn't that hard. Dried leaves are even easier though. I rake them in the fall and fill my shed with them. I don't even have to turn those, just add more to the top.

My thinking is that I'd rather have something that's small enough for the chickens to turn under by themselves through natural scratching behaviors. I'd rather not have to get into the coop if I don't have to. I like things as low maintenance as possible. Yes, I also add leaves periodically. It's about 6 inches every 4 weeks in the winter when they're inside more and every 6-8 weeks in the summer when they free range most of the time.

My one recommendation about building a coop is to configure it so that you can fill food and water and collect eggs without having to step onto their bedding it makes the job much nicer. There are times I'm tending to the chickens quickly before heading into town and I don't want to have to mess around with putting on farm boots then changing back into other shoes. That wouldn't be a big deal for some people but I do enjoy the ease of tending them and also that I can bring visitors into the coop to see the chickens without them worrying about what's getting on their shoes.

Okay! So here's some pictures of the project. I will not have this done in time for spring. It's a more costly project than I had hoped. Maybe by next spring. Sorry to disappoint!

Ceiling is practially clear

Entry wall. Really bad water damage. Will be spraying disinfectant/anti fungal tee tree mixture on it, letting it dry and then sistering it up (maybe). It'll be covered, and the leak was caused from above, not beside.

Back wall is in great shape, just have to get all the old crap off the top. Found a dead rat in there -- skeletor version.

Lastly, the overbearing mound of dirt beside a new mound of junk I've torn out! Joy!

Last edited:
Great progress! That stinks that it is becoming a more expensive project... For wood, you could use pallets? Just look around on Craigslist! I love that place... What stuff are you needing so I can think of places you could get it cheap!
Grant

Great progress! That stinks that it is becoming a more expensive project... For wood, you could use pallets? Just look around on Craigslist! I love that place... What stuff are you needing so I can think of places you could get it cheap!
Grant

Awh, Grant, that's so nice. Pallets would/will work for some of the things, but 2x4s aren't really my problem. the sheer amount of plywood that will have to be used to re-wall the studs is enormous. I'm not really sure what I expected, to be honest. I thought I could pull down the old wall materials, wash them and put them back up, but they are coming down in pieces and that is all. The fencing will also be a big deal. If I can get a wondow from an old house demo I will, to replace the other one thats in there and use the framing where possible. I set myself up for a let down, its something I do often.

So sorry to have not followed up on this sooner. I have some pictures of when the coop was deemed chicken-ready below. I will update with some more, recent pictures, very soon.

Back
Top Bottom