coop redo

Your run size is more limiting than your coop (8 standard size birds max in run vs up to 16 birds in coop) so if you can increase the run space then you can increase # of birds too. "Some" free range will not make up for a small run the rest of the time.
thanks , i was unaware that the run would require more space, so we plan on making the 8x10run with the full roof,(keep the snow out in the winter) and will add aonther run maybe 10x10 off the main run. we have lots of room to make a run as large as we need, just te price of the fencing is costly, and im well aware now that CHICKEN WIRE is to keep chickens in,and not predators out.

thanks , i was unaware that the run would require more space, so we plan on making the 8x10run with the full roof,(keep the snow out in the winter) and will add aonther run maybe 10x10 off the main run. we have lots of room to make a run as large as we need, just te price of the fencing is costly, and im well aware now that CHICKEN WIRE is to keep chickens in,and not predators out.

I saw a squirrel break through chicken wire, it won’t keep anything out. Chickens can even break through it if they try hard enough, so it really doesn’t do anything.

https://www.calculator.net/square-footage-calculator.html

I have a 6x14 roofed armored coop/run. (84sq. ft.) 8.4foot per bird. It is just big enough so my ten birds can stay in it all day and not get stressed. But its only for bad weather days or I go off for a few days. My netted run is 10x30 and they get turned out and locked back up at night. They can run in the roofed run/coop if a storm turns up or cool off in the dust under the roost box. But that's 384 sq ft and they are peaceful and not running each other around by the pecking order. Smaller you go the more bullying and the more stress the less eggs.
yu.jpg

Last edited:
If you do all that is should.
Got the actual coop outside done. Have rocks all around and doe a foot to help from being able to dig underneath. Installed new doors. One with a window and other has an opening with 1/2square welded wire for more air flow. Now we are onto the inside making perches and roost boxes. And still need to start on the run.

Attachments

• 20200717_150554.jpg
    20200717_150554.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 11
Got the actual coop outside done. Have rocks all around and doe a foot to help from being able to dig underneath. Installed new doors. One with a window and other has an opening with 1/2square welded wire for more air flow. Now we are onto the inside making perches and roost boxes. And still need to start on the run.
It looks like it’s coming along nicely. Good job so far!

So we finally have the coop and run finished .used chain link fence with 1 1/2 inch holes. Dug down 12inchs around barn and run fence goes done to bottom and back filled with big rocks and dirt. The chickens seem happen in there and we put the chicken tractor beside the run so they can all see each other. We were gonna wait only 2 weeks but are thinking maybe 6 to let the smaller one grow so they are not so small compared to the full grown.
20200813_201758.jpg
20200813_201814.jpg
20200817_160707.jpg
20200821_165406.jpg

With chain link, best to overlay a small opening wire (hardware cloth or welded wire, or if nothing else is available, then chicken wire doubled up is better than nothing) over at least the bottom few feet to prevent raccoons or other grabby predators from simply reaching in and tearing parts of a bird out through the wire.

Back
Top Bottom