May 23, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
My children's wooden playhouse turned chicken coop needs a remodel
big_smile.png

My contractor friend told me that the "R" in Recession stands for Remodel
lau.gif

Upgrades needed to my coop:

1. More ventilation and a new roof

2. External nest boxes to allow egg gathering without having to enter or reach inside the coop

3. More roosting space for all hens to enjoy the top rung

So, that is my short list of improvements.

Who wants to remodel their coop too? Your chickens will appreciate better digs, I am sure.

--Hugh

Quote:
Hah! I love this!
big_smile.png

I don't have chickens, nor do I have a coop (only wishful thinking at this point) but I'll be watching this thread with coffee in hand and daydreams in my heart.
smile.png
Best of luck with your playhouse coop! Sounds like it'll be perfect. Post lots and lots of photos!

We are totally rebuilding! DH has the floor and wall framing all done. He's off helping his brother roof a shed today, and will get back to work on ours tomorrow or Monday. Our new one will have tons of ventilation.
ya.gif

Yes, I will take lots of pics before and after.

Looking at my coop from the outside, it doesn't look like it has many issues, but once inside, anyone will notice that the roost ladder is large and bulky, but not very wide, hens knock each other off to gain the top rung. Nest boxes inside are taking up coop and floor space. Playhouse windows are only half way up the walls, roof shingles are 15 years old and some of the roof plywood is rotten. Planning to add a ridge vent when the roof is replaced.

AND the exterior needs a new coat of paint...I bought the paint 9 months ago
hu.gif

--Hugh

32235_coop_and_run.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently planning on a total rebuild of the existing coop and run. I'm more looking into how I can change it to make it more winterized so I'll have heat and artificial lighting. It will be partly inside our shop's overhang roof...it should be a fun project though it will be a $light work in progre$$ for rea$on$ that will go un$poken. We have a few months' time so we should be good to go by the time real cold temps hit.

Just wrapped up a remodel of our coop - enclosed our "chicken porch" area to add another 24 sq. ft. I don't feel that my ventilation was adequate either, so besides one more vent, we added a huge window to the addition (found on CL - double hung, double paned for $25!!), and another roost in that area. We're brooding 5 chicks that will eventually end up in there, hence the expansion/remodel.
smile.png
Good luck with yours!

Our remodels are never ending. We have 4 medium coops around a large layer coop with a silkie coop inside that run. If I'm not suggesting things he is. And, then there is the maintenance that ends up in improvements. Our duck hens are now getting their update and extension. We never did get ours painted, I'm taking gallons of white and green 6 year old dried marked down paint to dump each trash day. Always working on fortifying the perimeter and making them happy.

I have five 4 +8 pens that I've had for years-- 4 foot tall-- so last week i pushed them all together in a row and added a 2 and a half foot tall extension on top and a shed roof to make one big shed coop.It looks a lot better and no more scraping my back going in and out .I'll have the roof done tomorrow then i can start on the sides with the free wood i found on craigslist. Why didn't i do this years ago?

Back
Top Bottom