Coop repairs and new run

JMotuzick

Songster
Oct 31, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Our coop was built on the dirt with 4x4 and decking for a retaining wall. After 30 years (lumber is stamped with a production date) it has shifted down the hill some... I “found” some 2x2x4 blocks, and fixed that today. Pushed the down hill side back up 1/2” I left the wood wall.

923F7E25-FB70-4E98-AD20-546747EEBBDC.jpeg
EA8D516D-020C-433C-94BA-84772625A4AB.jpeg

The second half of the day was spent working on the new covered year round run. Last winter was no fun with the snow, they wanted outside! With 10 +/- more this winter they will need some extra secure space to roam.

Before

B5DA96A6-1D3F-470D-B4BD-0051F5A3F215.jpeg

Taking a hint from the PO I got lazy and skipped the concrete. Fingureing this chicken thing won’t last more then 20 more years for me, I just sunk 4x4’s into the dirt. I went out 12’ and kept it 8’ wide. It matches the size of the coop and will double the “secure” part of our run. (Unsecured part is 20x45 ish)

CA483937-CE69-46A4-BA57-646F10D1B568.jpeg

The plan is to add a 5’ gate so I can bring weeds into them from the garden with our small tractor. The roof should have a 3” pitch. Planing on a semi clear product that Home Depot sells.
Just under the new roof will be 4’ of HC instead of the T1-11 siding. This should put us over the 1:1 ratio of air space we barely have now. Also making the roof 10’wide to keep the rain out of this new hole in the wall!

HooBoy, that's scary looking....unless the leaning to the right is just an optical illusion.
How the heck did you get those huge blocks down there?
What you've rigged under there might hold it up,
but might not keep the whole thing from shifting/tipping over.
I'd be double cross bracing those new posts.

Yeah the lean to the right is bad! It’s the bottom coming in though not the top going over. The coop above is still pretty plub/square. If you recall from a post few months back I’m into old tractors. I have a back hoe from the 60’s that was up to the task! Some diagonal braces might be in order. Also don’t forget it was standing the last 30 years without them!

Spent this morning grading off the new run area enough to work safly. Then I cut a big hole into the side of the coop! It’s about 42”x7’ I was going to go the full 8’ but the nest boxes are there and I wanted to keep the breeze off them in the winter.

AD39A68A-53EB-45E5-9241-EDF10FCBB873.jpeg

Some hardware cloth stapled and then sandwiched with 2x4’s. The 2x8 on top will act as a gurder to hold the rafters. I also set the gurder for the lower side. I’m not a framer so I will need some help getting birds mouth angles right on the rafters gota get call a few friends, to see who is free this week.

9F312A8F-8F9F-464A-8A75-ABD1FADABA3D.jpeg

I’m thinking the prices of T1-11 I cut out would make a great price of upper siding. It would go below the roof but above the sides of the run. Should help to keep the water out of the now open south side of the coop.... thoughts?

Looks great I love your red coop. My boring grey metal coop in a flat field will last forever .... but red? Oh so pretty

Back
Top Bottom