Coop Review: My Urban Farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArlingtonChick

Chirping
Jun 10, 2017
Portland, OR
I didn't do my research and I was taken by Nicole and Alan Hyatt. Their website makes them sound like a reputable, highly-recommended company--they're not. If you read the posts here, on Yelp, and the Better Business Bureau, you get the real story. They are (in my opinion) scam artists trying to make a quick buck.

My story: I purchased a coop from them that I was told to expect within six weeks. 10 weeks later, no coop. I cancelled my order after finally reading reviews and realizing I was unlikely going to get a quality product if I recieved one at all. Their excuses for the delay are the same as they were a year ago--coop redesign. Also, if I waited any longer, I would be subject to their draconian return policy--25% cancellation fee. My chicks are now in a new home, but it was quite the hassle to get my money back and find something similar at a good price. Like many people, I was drawn to Chicken Coops NW because the prices were so reasonable, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Here are some observations on why you should stay away from this business:

1. They've changed their company name and website to avoid being associated with the "F" rating they recieved from the Better Business Bureau: Farm To Barn Hay Company, My Urban Farmers, and Chicken Coops NW. They are an LLC--not accredited.

2. All addresses associated with their business are incorrect (one is the local McDonalds!!). PS - I have their actual address--PM me if you need it.

3. They live on a small residential lot--it is unclear where they're making all these chicken coops. It's more likely that they are buying bulk, factory seconds (regardless of the country of orgin) and then passing them on as home-made. This is my guess.

4. Many people report that it takes three months to recieve their order. This is consistant with a business that wants to wait out your VISA's 60-day fraud period (the period in which you can get your money back from your credit card company), leaving you at the mercy of their purchase agreement.

5. Their facebook and business website(s) only post glowing reviews. They seem to delete negative comments from facebook. They report negative posts on Criagslist, etc... Did I mention that they advertise their coops on Ebay, Etsy, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc..., etc...?

6. Their negative reviews: Yelp, YouTube Video of Product

I could go on and on. Please do not buy a coop from this company.

Last edited:
I didn't do my research and I was taken by Nicole and Alan Hyatt. Their website makes them sound like a reputable, highly-recommended company--they're not. If you read the posts here, on Yelp, and the Better Business Bureau, you get the real story. They are (in my opinion) scam artists trying to make a quick buck.

My story: I purchased a coop from them that I was told to expect within six weeks. 10 weeks later, no coop. I cancelled my order after finally reading reviews and realizing I was unlikely going to get a quality product if I recieved one at all. Their excuses for the delay are the same as they were a year ago--coop redesign. Also, if I waited any longer, I would be subject to their draconian return policy--25% cancellation fee. My chicks are now in a new home, but it was quite the hassle to get my money back and find something similar at a good price. Like many people, I was drawn to Chicken Coops NW because the prices were so reasonable, but I guess you get what you pay for.

1. They've changed their company name and website to avoid being associated with the "F" rating they recieved from the Better Business Bureau: Farm To Barn Hay Company, My Urban Farmers, and Chicken Coops NW. They are an LLC--not accredited.

2. All addresses associated with their business are incorrect (one is the local McDonalds!!). PS - I have their actual address--PM me if you need it.

3. They live on a small residential lot--it is unclear where they're making all these chicken coops. It's more likely that they are buying bulk, factory seconds (regardless of the country of orgin) and then passing them on as home-made. This is my guess.

4. Many people report that it takes three months to recieve their order. This is consistant with a business that wants to wait out your VISA's 60-day fraud period (the period in which you can get your money back from your credit card company), leaving you at the mercy of their purchase agreement.

5. Their facebook and business website(s) only post glowing reviews. They seem to delete negative comments from facebook. They report negative posts on Criagslist, etc... Did I mention that they advertise their coops on Ebay, Etsy, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc..., etc...?

Just my 2 cents since I actually know these people (I live on their road). They actually changed their name for a reason and it had to do with "urban farmers" and how many of them there are. That change didn't happen over night and was in the works for quite some time. Also the BBB is just simply a mediator if you look into them you can actually buy your rating. Alan hauled hay for years and years and years. (like since 1998) If you know horse people then you may realize that a few negative BBB reports would be well normal. But I will say he has family that have high quality show horses did haul for a very long time-and boy if you have hauled hay you know what kind of work that is!! He also works a full time job. Pretty much been doing the same thing for 20 years work wise-so when I see/hear people hating on the fact that they have a nice house or whatever that seems very ridiculous. The business is their side-business and has kept them busy for the past 5 years. Their website says these coops are made for them. They answer a lot of questions under the FAQ sounds like many people don't read if they are simply assuming that they build them there. I see them ship daily and have had friends who have purchased so I know that if it is in stock it ships. IF there is a not in stock ETA then it ships when it is in stock. I can confirm they do not sell their coops anywhere other than on their website so that information is false. Exacme, PawHut the Chicken Coop Company etc sell on Amazon, Ebay, Wayfair, Hayneedle, Walmart etc. To do that you have to give up profit and I know they keep busy enough to not need to do that. He may sell a used one on offer up from time to time. They are truly a small family business there is no middle man these coops are made for them, they seem to pick and design features for them. I can tell you really don't have much of a clue about the company, but posting a bunch of false information that you guessed is a bit much. Coops as you probably well realize are a heavy item to ship. Almost anything would be cheaper and easier to ship than a chicken coop. I see they have their fair share of upset people but they do seem to sell a lot and I do mean A LOT of coops. There is a truck picking up a large pile every single day. Anyway just my 2 cents. I am sure you will fire back with something but this what I know. I don't have chickens, I don't want chickens. I do however have goats, and dogs.

I'm going to assume this is Nicole or Alan. There isn't a single thing in my review that's false. They advertise their website on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace in addition to their own website (fact). They used to go by the name Farm to Barn Hay Company and that business got an F rating on BBB (fact). They currently go by My Urban Farmers, LLC on BBB and have a C- rating with zero positive reviews. Yelp currently has 15 bad review and zero positive reviews for Chicken Coops NW (fact); there's not a single good review on Yahoo! reviews either (fact). Their purchase agreement is in direct violation of the VISA user agreement (fact). The coops are being purchased in China and shipped to the US (fact). https://panjiva.com/Alan-Hyatt/35477066 and http://www.usportexaminer.com/company/alan-hyatt/394768.php

If you look at the touching story they've posted on their website and then the reality of where the coops actually come from, you have to question their honesty and integrity. I think everyone can agree that reviews posted on their website alone are suspect since they only post positive reviews.

I know that Alan has had other jobs--that's apparent from any Google search (Nicole as well).

Look, I'm a reasonable, educated individual--a mother and a professional. I don't wish them ill. However, if you actually know them and "live on their road," you need to know that they have tried to swindle lots of hard working people out of money. They may be nice, but their "side" business is a scam. When I called my VISA to get my money back, the individual on the phone actually said, "Oh, them again." (What a small world!)

I also know that they've been reported to several local news agencies (in WA State) by concerned citizens--and are being investigated for fraud. Be careful not to get caught up in their naughty behavior.

Last edited:
All I was pointing out is that a lot what you did post was not fact. Just because someone is a small business does not mean it is not import. If you actually think there are factories here in the USA that are manufacturing wood products then maybe you need to do some more research. They disclose that the coops are not made by them. Just because you choose not to actually read their website is not a fault of theirs. From what I can see on their property and on their website they set the coops up and take actual photos of them. (I can tell the Kona, The Farmhouse and The Lodge are all in their yard) Any kit coop you purchase under $1800 that ships for $99 or anywhere near that (especially the companies offering any free or cheap shipping-UNREAL) are made abroad somewhere. The Amish businesses start around $1800. I am just stating what I know. They do a lot for their local community, and like I said I have had a few friends local neighbors purchase from them, none of them complaining like this. I will head over and let them know about what you have been posting as I do talk to them regularly. Have never seen or heard of any local news, as I am sure they have better things to do than check out a very small local business with wooden pet houses. But either way they should be made aware as your post contains lots of false info. The marketplace you speak of is for people not businesses and it would be well within their rights to sell there but I am certain they do not sell on ebay, amazon etc. Yes Nicole is a local doula and works with lots of teen moms and women of poverty she said they have hired some people to help with their business within the last few months. It is interesting as I see people that say fraud, criminal etc. But none of these people report (at least on anything that I have read-and I have read through a lot of them) that they have returned their coop and not got their money back. It looks more like they purchase use their coop, use it for any given amount of time, and then want their money back without returning it. Obviously a small business is well within their rights to not offer that. Fraud, ok right they sell a lot of coops, there are 15 negative reviews on yelp, 2 of those are repeats so that takes it to 13 people then there are 2 positive reviews. Of course some people will not be pleased and will make a stink as with anything. But they sell what they say they have, there is no bait and switch, you are not getting one product while paying for another. There is no fraud. If there was they would not have been in business for 5 years and counting. If people are clicking the "I agree" to these terms and conditions button they are going to be hard pressed to prove much without following through with what they agreed to. I will look further into farm to barn, but I would say with 10-12 years of hauling hay 2-4 negative reviews isn't much. I will take it you do not know what I mean about horse people if you think differently. Like I said he sold to a lot of people with show horses, he obviously didn't grow the hay as that comes from the other side of the mountains there are a lot more people involved in that than the hauler and purchasers. Either way BBB is a joke of a website that allows businesses to purchase their rating, (if you don't believe me look that up) if they are not accredited than that means they have never paid the BBB (if a business is BBB accredited you should be aware that that means that they can buy their rating) I do not think they got almost 6,000 people to like them on facebook just by faking it. You do need to have to have a bit of knowledge about what you are buying. If you are purchasing a kit style coop (or any wood product) you have to realize they are likely not made out of 2X4's there will always be complainers like this which is really why places like forums and yelp exist in the first place. Anyway just saying I think if you are going to speak with authority your facts should be right or at least somewhat right. I actually read this about 3 weeks ago and stewed over posting as I do not have chickens, I told my husband and another neighbor about it and they agreed the wrong info should be corrected. These people are a small local family not what you are making them out to be. They have children and quite honestly if you people are purchasing their products and using and keeping them all while demanding your money back I think re-thinking whom is stealing from whom is what I will be doing.

Wow, Obviously this must be the person (or someone very close) that is the seller.

Those coops are shit, period. I bought one thru Amazon and was able to return it before I even got it open. They all come form China and are flimsy paper thin wood.
There are places that make them here, not mass produced crap but actual built coops.

Seriously, when someone opens an account and just posts here, DUH ...
They should be taken off.

Thank you for your participation.
Posting a factual review is fine. Posting emotionally charged flaming posts is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom