Coop Roof Help

Ooooh yes! I had forgotten. We used Azek fascia boards - 1x6.
I did that to save maintenance.
Sorry - I had forgotten that because it was actually scrap I had stored from rennovating the house so I didn't have to buy it!
I would use that - love saving a bit of maintenance hassle!
I was thinking about using the Axel fascia boards because it’s already painted and everything! I’m going to assume it holds up well too?

Not to barge in on Royal,,,, :hugs ,, But I would predrill 2 holes into each 2x4 joist, and attach with deck screws. I say deck screws opposed to drywall screws, because they will not rust. Drywall screws are fine, but in time if they start to rust, will leave rust colored stains. If you do not want to go out of your way to get the deck screws, then use what you have, and then just dab a little paint on the screw heads. Even clear nail-polish would work.

Not to barge in on Royal,,,, :hugs ,, But I would predrill 2 holes into each 2x4 joist, and attach with deck screws. I say deck screws opposed to drywall screws, because they will not rust. Drywall screws are fine, but in time if they start to rust, will leave rust colored stains. If you do not want to go out of your way to get the deck screws, then use what you have, and then just dab a little paint on the screw heads. Even clear nail-polish would work.
I have drywall screws and i think wood screws, they’re a little longer, i will check tomorrow. But thank you!

Thank goodness, someone who knows what they are talking about!
Yes, exactly that.

You can use 1x6 or 2x6 facia board. 2x6 will give you a thicker board to attach the wire to. If you add 2x6 facia boards then the rood sheathing (plywood) will need to be 3 inches longer than the rafters (1.5 inches on each end of rafter). A 96 inch long piece of plywood would cover a 93 inch rafter plus the 1.5 inch thick facia board on each side of building.

There needs to be a rafter directly above each side wall unless you intend to have ventilation along both the end walls and the side walls. Are you going to make an overhanging eave on each side wall? If so, how will it be supported? The plywood can't just jut out there with nothing underneath to support it. If the eave along the side wall is held up by the facia boards on the front and back walls, then you definitely want the facia board to be 2x6, not 1x6. Forget using a plastic facia board.

Nice job notching out for the rafters.

Last edited:
One more question, if you know, do we put the azek fascia on before the drip edge?

Back
Top Bottom