Coop Roof Help

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
We’re finally on the home stretch of finishing the coop! I just need some help on this. So in the photo the arrows are pointing to the very end of the support beams. We plan on putting plywood as the roof with shingles. Should i put a piece of 2x4 on the end of the support beams?
5DC43638-3B65-4F07-9EBF-E1F46FD6626B.jpeg

I assume the roof isn't as flat as it looks in the pic? But yes, generally you cut the ends of the rafters parallel to the walls and put a fascia board over the ends. If you are leaving the soffits open for ventilation, as you should, the fascia will add some protection from blowing rain or snow. If driving rain and snow are especially common where you live, you can even make the fascia wider for further protection.

Okay thank you! Fascia is the white stuff right?
We are rapidly getting past my knowledge, but I believe a fascia board is anything you put to cover the ends of the rafters. I don’t think you can go and buy fascia board. I think it is just board you use for that purpose.
I don’t think 2x4 works as a fascia board because your rafters are probably made of 2x4 but on an angle so the end to be covered will be more than 3.5”. Also, you don’t need the board to be very thick as it isn’t load bearing.

.... also, the underlayment (felting) and the shingles should overlap the drip edge by about a quarter inch.

They have fancy underlayments these days. Some are a thick rubber-like material that is peel-and-stick so it lays flat and doesn't catch the wind. Once a good underlayment is down you can walk away for a while and don't have to put on the shingles for six or nine months. It will be waterproof, but direct sun will degrade it over a few years.

I assume the roof isn't as flat as it looks in the pic? But yes, generally you cut the ends of the rafters parallel to the walls and put a fascia board over the ends. If you are leaving the soffits open for ventilation, as you should, the fascia will add some protection from blowing rain or snow. If driving rain and snow are especially common where you live, you can even make the fascia wider for further protection.
No the roof isn’t flat it’s on an angle down to the back of the coop! Thank you!

Yes I would. It will not stop any ventilation action since you will not be blocking the openings at the wall position.
Not readily visible for me,,,, but what is the pitch of your roof?? My question is concerning snow load.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Even in our old coop, if snow got too much, we would just brush it off. It’s about a 6-8 inch pitch i guess you would call it.

Back
Top Bottom