coop/run can't keep up with the stink!!!!

I am just a newbie at chickens (had 5 since July) so not sure how much my advice works but, here goes... I read about the deep litter method and decided to use it in the coop. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works. We have not changed out the litter since we got our birds. We just rake it and add more if it smells at all. I have to say, we haven't added ANY litter since we started. That was 2 months ago. Our birds free range most of the time so we only have poop from overnight, but still, I am really amazed with this method. Look it up and see if it might work for you.

First off, I agree that pine shavings are much better than straw. Straw really has very little ability to absorb moisture or odors.

Next install a "poop board" under the roosting area. You'll be surprised how much poop you'll collect in one night. Our poop board gets cleaned about every day but only takes 5-10 minutes to clean and dump in the compost pile and as an added bonus the shavings in the coop have been down for three months and still are clean and odor-free.

When things get smelly in the run I sprinkle DE on the droppings to dry them up,but I agree it's a waste to try and spread DE or lime on the whole run area.

Make sure you have good drainage(no places for water to stand in the run or(and since your coop has a dirt floor)the coop itself.

Highly recommend deep litter/pine shavings in coop; these can be composted right back into the run (my ladies love it). When wet and smelly in run I use PDZ (stall dry) - it is affordable and really does the trick. I tried straw year one and it was a MESS (not to mention straw gets really slick and flopping around in my chicken's poop didn't sound like something I needed to put on my Bucket List.)

Are you raising meat birds on a high protein diet? If so, that may be part of the problem. I have a large coop. part is wood floored and part is dirt floor. In the 8x24 floored coop one or two bags of shavings will hold up and work for several months. In the winter I add Sweet PDZ and scatter it in the shavings. I never have a smelly floor. My hens scratch through the shavings, keeping them stirred up and exposed to air. That helps to dry off the shavings. I don't bed the dirt floor at all. Its got some sand in it to help keep it level and I can sprinkle the PDZ there, but haven't needed to. Both are covered so they don't get wet in winter. Straw is notoriusly bad at absorbing, but is great for providing a cushion. You don't need a cushion, you need absorbancy. Good luck!!

I use a hoe and a hoe-rake-thing with 3 prongs to "fluff up" the dirt in our run every other day so it "dries out".

You have ventilation, but do you have lower ventilation? A ventilated area at ground level? That might help.
Good luck.

Though a lot of people use it, I wouldn't feel comfortable using hay because it seems it would harbor bacteria and mold, hence smell. It also takes forever to compost. I use sand, deep sand. Easy to rake out. Also use Oyster Shell Lime (flour). It is fabulous for keeping odors to a minimum, plus whatever is eaten contributes to calcium. I also use a LOT of DE. These two in combination are winning the odor war for me!

I don't have this issue unless it is wet and I have litter in the run. Have you tried Oxine AH? Some people use it weekly to keep odor down. I had this problem some when I kept any litter in the runs. Since I have removed it and it is either a dirt floor or creek gravel I just don't have an issue. The ground drys better and the chickens keep it scratched up.

I have added lime in the coop/run with creek gravel. Still no issues with odor.

Good luck.

No matter what you use in the coop or run, you just are going to have to clean more often. I don't think you can leave it all for a week. A lot will be soaked in the soil that way and you will never get it all. I clean first thing every morning, run and coop. For some reason I've found the chickens that have the worst odor problem are a little upset in the stomach and kinda loose. Pepto bismol might help there.
big_smile.png

Wow, I've only "cleaned" my run 2 times in 18 years and that is when I scraped some dirt off & put sand in. It should be really smelly by now, based on this thread. Only have a slight odor when it is insanely wet. I don't have to dry their poop either, it is not wet. Sand in the run is great. More chips & PDZ in the coop keeps everything dry.

See my BYC page for pics of my setup. Two decades and never a ammonia smell. I use a sub ground level dirt floor deep litter composting pit. I only clean it out in the spring, and only then cause I want the compost for my Garden. I use whatever I can rake up or bag up with the riding mower for litter ingredients. Pine cones/needles, leaves, grass, weeds, etc.

Back
Top Bottom