Coop/Run location help—too close to house?

Yes, definitely! I haven’t completed the run. Still in the planning stage of where to place it.
I wrote a list of characteristics I was looking for in a breed and eliminated those that didn't stack up.Some chickens get frost bit because they have long combs so I chose a breed with short combs .I also chose one that isn't flighty and handles confinement well .Last but not least I chose one that lays a lot of eggs and goes broody so they'll raise their own baby chicks.(Some breeds go broody too often so you won't get many eggs)Good luck in the planning stages! I wish you the best!

I wrote a list of characteristics I was looking for in a breed and eliminated those that didn't stack up.Some chickens get frost bit because they have long combs so I chose a breed with short combs .I also chose one that isn't flighty and handles confinement well .Last but not least I chose one that lays a lot of eggs and goes broody so they'll raise their own baby chicks.(Some breeds go broody too often so you won't get many eggs)Good luck in the planning stages! I wish you the best!
Thanks!

Breedwise I’m a bit at the mercy of what the local feed store provides, but I am guessing they know the best breeds for this climate and what I read is most tend to be pretty hardy. I’m also letting the kids pick out their own chicken, so I thought I’d get them involved in the process. They will inherit coop duties at some point! ;)

Thanks!

Breedwise I’m a bit at the mercy of what the local feed store provides, but I am guessing they know the best breeds for this climate and what I read is most tend to be pretty hardy. I’m also letting the kids pick out their own chicken, so I thought I’d get them involved in the process. They will inherit coop duties at some point! ;)

The commonly-available dual purpose breeds such as Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Wyandottes, Brahmas, etc. are widely adaptable to different climates.

As a general rule, chickens are tough, adaptable animals who do well under many different conditions as long as their basic needs for space and shelter are met.

Back
Top Bottom