Coop sand - smelly?

I don't think good washed sand should smell on its own. It's silica granules, right? But maybe there's also nothing in there to mask a strong smell.

So the ammonia is the smell, right? And that should evaporate if not held in or absorbed by the sand? What is it about sand that gets "wet" so easily, that absorbs moisture so easily?

What could you add to the sand to prevent odours? I did note that sand is best for a very dry environment.

Clean sand doesn't smell, but the poop dust in the sand rots and stinks when wet.

That's why, IMO, dry organic material is better than sand, with the carbon rich wood/straw/etc. neutralizing the nitrogen rich manure.

I have a raised 12ft x 12ft (might be bigger - definitely not smaller) coop. The floor is stick-on linoleum tile. This week, I switched from deep bedding to sand, after hearing a lot of success and having to remove everything for a mite clean out.

However, I’m already not liking the sand, and I think it may be because I’ve done something wrong. My boyfriend bought “multi-purpose” sand in bags. We spread about 4” of sand on the floor of the coop. I cleaned it the first day, no problem. The second day, I noticed a smell that is specific to one of those local river beaches — nasty, wet sand. Smells nothing like poop, and their poop is cleaned out.

I did notice the sand got a bit wet from some summer rain that came in through the ventilation at the top of the coop (it’s hardware cloth windows).

Any advice about the smell, preventing the smell, etc? Can I just stir up the sand? is it because there’s no drainage for the sand (because there isn’t — it’s a pretty airtight floor). Do I have to get rid of this sand?

This is my second round of chickens and I swear it was so much easier and cheaper last time, and they just lived in the back of a shed and free ranged 😂
Sand stays wet.
I use Stall Dry or Sweet PDZ. I put in 6 40 pound bags when the coop is totally empty. (Mine is the same size) then scoop the manure like kitty litter once a week. I'll add a bag here or there over the years to top it off. After several years, I'll strip it all out and put all new bags in. The ammonia control is incredible. It's easy to clean. Dries quickly and also dries out the manure. You can also toss in some DE and the hens will dust bathe in it and nothing wants to lay eggs in it and if they do the DE grinds them to bits.
Under the stall dry, my whole coop is coated with Blackjack roofing paint. I just stripped out the pdz this past week for the first time in 5 years. Floor still looks like I painted it yesterday.

May I please join this thread? 6 Rhodes Island Reds.

I appreciate the explanation of sand, need to decide asap what to put in our newly built walk-in 6.5ft by 8ft coop. We're at the stage of adding a piece of vinyl flooring on the raised pallet floor, then roost and nest boxes, ramp and a chicken yard or run or day tractor.

Sounds like we don't want sand as there's no drainage.

Can someone please recommend an article here on bedding and poop boards?
I have used sand over a vinyl floor in my coop for several years, as well as the outside run, and love it. Can be helpful to mix in some sweet PDZ for odor control, but I’ve never had an issue with smell or drainage. I sift out poop with a cat litter scoop daily (but most of that is on the poop boards not floor) and do change it out completely or at least add more yearly. very happy with this system

Hemp bedding has been the best thing in my opinion. I have used sand, pine shavings, and just plain dirt over the years. Hemp has come out on top by a long shot. Sand will eventually get smelly, pine shavings as well. Dirt is fine if you constantly turn it, but when it rains you’ll end up with mud. Hemp is the way to go! It dries up poop very well making it super easy to clean and eventually when it decomposes you just add more.

Back
Top Bottom