Coop Security

tinamiller1

Chirping
Aug 3, 2020
I have done extensive research on coops and really wanted something mobile. I have a 30-acre farm with about 15 acres that are wooded. We have lots of critters and predators. Have a feral dog family the dog catcher will not come and catch. I have gone around and around about safety. I have decided to go with the Omlet, the very large one with the largest run as well as the largest walk-in run. I have read their reviews and there are a few bad ones between 2009-2013; however, they were design issues that seem to be rectified. For the most part, people love the safety and security. I ordered my stuff from them over a month ago and it was just dispatched today. That is fine. I did my planning so I ordered my 6 Rhode Island chicks a few weeks ago from McMurray. They were born on the 15th of July 2020 and they arrived on the 17th. They are near three weeks old and full of energy. Trying to fly. Trying to roost. Love to eat from my hand and love mealworms. I watched the setup video of the Omlet and do see a few issues that concern me. The first is the opening in the run area seems a little large. I have decided to put hardware fabric around it where the holes are like the size of a dime. Fill in where I believe something could slither or run in. The next issue I have is raccoons. I have read they cannot open the levers as they are set up on the hen house; however, I am still leary about it. I saw one of the members here got some of that wired strand stuff and put it through the venting areas and back around with a lock on the outside of the nesting area and I see where that could be done to the back. I also opted for the automatic door. I also have five predator eyes. Placing at varying levels. I purchased a dog barking alarm that is motion detected. I bought motion detector floodlights that are so bright I am thankful I am off the beaten path because they would wake the dead. I am wondering if there is anything else I should consider for security. I will have my shotgun ready in case I need to shoot a predator. Oh, I also have a motion detected WiFi Camera to watch the coop and notify me. I have just read horror stories especially about raccoons riping chickens to shreds and I just will lose it. The 2nd day I had the babies I noticed one was hobbling and after research and online vet advice who stated cull her (slipped tendon), I found a bird vet two hours away. Took her and found out a sprain. Got Metacam. Came home and they are going to be 21 days old on Wed and she is doing great. I gave the online vets a piece of my mind and one said, this is a $5 dollar chick. You drove four hours, took time off from work, and spent $82 on a $5 dollar chick? I reported this vet to the state she is licensed. She has no business being a vet with that lack of care for life. My husband told me even before I got these chicks I would not have the heart to kill them when they stop laying and use them for food and boy, was he right. I am going to buy another coop and have two. One that will be senior housing and the other newbies. I will let them live out their lives and that is that. So, any other security recommendations would be great.

I also have five predator eyes. Placing at varying levels. I purchased a dog barking alarm that is motion detected. I bought motion detector floodlights that are so bright I am thankful I am off the beaten path because they would wake the dead.
Return all this and spend the money on some Premiere1 electro-netting to surround the entire coop and run.

Return all this and spend the money on some Premiere1 electro-netting to surround the entire coop and run.
I thought about electric fencing on it until I read folks having issues with electrocuting their chickens and that made me rethink the electric fencing. I am new to chickens and the last thing I want is to bbq them because I don't know what I am doing. I think a plus for me is I only leave my home bi-weekly on payday to grocery shop. The rest of the time I am home. Most other shopping is done online and I work from home. Have worked from home for near 20 years for my organization. Maybe I will get the fencing and put it around the large perimeter the coop will move too. IDK. My husband is great with electrical so we shall see.

Those three (and weasels that often live where those are) are all a real threat to chickens, definitely. You're doing well to be concerned about their safety but do also prepare yourself that sometimes losses happen in spite of our best efforts.

I second @aart 's great advice of adding electric netting if you are able to. We live in an area with all of the above as well as coyotes and coyote/wolf hybrids, foxes, owls, hawks, eagles, and so on. I have seen most of these test the electric fence once. They learn and it's saved us a lot of trouble.

Would putting the solar fence around the hen house and run but not actually on it work? Just around the perimeter and their house and run is inside. The house and run are movable. Opted for tractor version from Omlet and my gigantic run arrives in September. That will have its own tractor wheels. Want to give them lots of space plus when they turn into senior chickens this will become their nursing home and I will buy another Omlet large house with a run for the newbies. Hoping their house eventually I can connect to the giant run and they can get to know the senior chickens and get some great advice.

I thought about electric fencing on it until I read folks having issues with electrocuting their chickens and that made me rethink the electric fencing. I am new to chickens and the last thing I want is to bbq them because I don't know what I am doing. I think a plus for me is I only leave my home bi-weekly on payday to grocery shop. The rest of the time I am home. Most other shopping is done online and I work from home. Have worked from home for near 20 years for my organization. Maybe I will get the fencing and put it around the large perimeter the coop will move too. IDK. My husband is great with electrical so we shall see.
My pullets are in a secure run and my hot wire runs the perimeter of the coop and run on the outside. I also didn’t want to BBQ myself so I added an electric timer to the hot wire. On at 8:00PM off at 6:00AM

Back
Top Bottom