Coop size for 6 chickens?

Yes, where are you located? Always go bigger, chicken math is real, and you won't really have room for additions with a 4x6 coop. I started with 3, then got 3 more, then just added 4 more (1 was a cockerel so he found a new home), that is over a 2 year span. Also when you have more space it helps keep the peace per say, i.e. integration, separation (for whatever reason) broodies, the list goes on and on. And my personal preference is a walk in coop hands down. I had to hunch and bend to clean my first coop, never again!

I'm located in Colorado Springs so it does snow and get cold here but nothing that crazy but does get down into the teens often during winter. Unfortunately i cant go any wider than 6 feet perhaps i could squeeze it to 8 feet. My issue is with the larger coop it would be difficult to reach the middle for cleaning. The coop will be raised off the ground and the run will be roughly 6 feet tall allowing us to walk in.

Outside the coop the run will be rather long and protected by cloth with minimal clutter inside.

Any possibility of making it more wide rather than more long, and NOT going with minimal clutter?

A 6' wide run is about the minimum that would allow 2 birds with pecking order issues to pass by one another and not cause a fight. Clutter further plays into that by breaking up the space, providing visual cover, and simply keeping the birds busy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

A 6' wide run is about the minimum that would allow 2 birds with pecking order issues to pass by one another and not cause a fight. Clutter further plays into that by breaking up the space, providing visual cover, and simply keeping the birds busy

One of the main things I've learned from the old hands here is that the best way to ward off behavior problems is to give them plenty of space and plenty to do. :)

unfortunately the area in which i can build the coop only is roughly 8ft wide. I could definitely remeasure and try to squeeze out some extra space. If i do make it long then I would have room to add some small items inside the coop for them to climb on etc.. I do plan to let the chickens out to roam around as much as possible and have them in the run as little as possible.

3KillerBs, i had not come across that article but I will give it a read over, thank you!

unfortunately the area in which i can build the coop only is roughly 8ft wide. I could definitely remeasure and try to squeeze out some extra space. If i do make it long then I would have room to add some small items inside the coop for them to climb on etc..

3KillerBs, i had not come across that article but I will give it a read over, thank you!

Clutter in the run is what's necessary. In the coop they already have their perch and their nests. :)

Back
Top Bottom