Coop size vs chicken math

Have you considered a pallet coop? Apparently some places just toss pallets when done unloading off of them
I still need the plywood for it though. I need to find some metal, corrugated panels for the roof, which should add to the ventilation.
I have window and a door for it, even if it's a storm door. I could just screw it shut, and use the bottom window for a door.

So I looked it up, and saw different types. Is there an actual difference between the horse stalls or the chicken coop one, except the price?
There is no difference except the price, buy the horse stall stuff, to save money! A little goes a long way IMO. I only use it inside the coop, not the run. I use the deep litter method in my run. If your run starts to smell, add more stuff to it. It should smell like a forest floor, if kept correctly. It shouldn't draw many flies or smell bad. The poop dries up breaks down and mixes in with everything, so you won't be looking at a lot of poop.

Attachments

• 20171126_121131.jpg
    20171126_121131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
How hard is it to clean underneath the coop, if it is raised?

If you go 6x8 or even 8x8, you might want to just aim for a walk-in. I personally wouldn't want to have to try and reach under a 8x8 coop. Plus the extra height makes it much easier to add ventilation.

If you really want to elevate it to use the space underneath, then I'd recommend at least adding hatches around the perimeter so you can reach in if needed to get to a sick bird, stash of eggs, etc. Or have small children who like crawling through poop for you. :lol:

Last edited:
DE doesn't actually do much to prevent parasites and can cause respiratory issues. However, Sweet PZD is super helpful for managing smell.
Not to mention, DE loses every bit of its effectiveness (which is marginal at best, to begin with) the *instant* it gets wet/damp. That’s why it does nothing for internal parasites— animals are quite wet inside, ya know... 🤣😂🙃

The only use for wet DE is as a filtering medium in pools & aquariums. It’s excellent in that capacity.

I second the use of Sweet PDZ for odor control.

Back
Top Bottom