Coop sq ft??

Crobinson08

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
North Texas
I am designing a small coop that will serve as a starter coop for 3 rir chicks until they are 16-18wks old, at which time they will go into a bigger coop with our other hens. My question is how small can I go with the starter coop? We would like to keep it small/lightweight enough to be able to move it in and out of the run as needed in case other chicks come home with me lol or in case we need to quarantine a sick chicken. Since they won't really be fully grown during their time in this coop, I'm hoping maybe I can go smaller than the typical 3-4sq ft per bird rule. Any help is greatly appreciated! TIA!

One thing I have learned in the 5ish years that I have been doing this is to go bigger than you think you should. I learned the same thing with fish keeping years ago (aside from nano tanks but that is another story).

That said, if the birds will be confined to the coop then, no, less than 4 sf per bird is not enough in my opinion. Even 4 is too small, more like 10. If, however, they have open access to the run it's fine. Again, in my opinion.

Forget that square feet per chicken stuff. For what you are after you need something that you can put a roost in and still put feed and water where they won't poop in it from the roosts. Since you may put a hen in there at some point, I'd have a nest. If you put a wire floor in it you can use it for a broody buster. If you use it for a broody buster I'd have a way to block the nest. If you don't want a wire floor when it's not a broody buster, slip in a piece of plywood. If it is not elevated set it up on blocks or lumber for use as a broody buster.

Since standard building materials often come in 4' an 8' dimensions, I'd build it 4' x 4'. You can minimize cutting and waste and it probably won't cost any more than building something a little bit smaller. About as easy as it can get.

The 2x2's I can buy are not very straight, but if you have a table saw you can rip a 2x4 to make a 2x2 (actual dimensions a bit smaller). That and using wire for the bottom plus paneling or thin plywood on the sides can reduce weight.

If it won't fit through your gate or door, a 2x6 isn't really horrible when it comes to using the material without waste. The cut-offs on the 6' side can be used on the 2' end.

For ease of integration I'd want those chicks across wire from the adults. I don't know the best way for you to do that in your circumstances. I did it by making mine a permanent structure with it's own section of run next to the main run with a pop door in between. Maybe you could move it into the main run and section off a part of that main run just for this coop/shelter.

I understand your desire for lightweight if you insist on moving it around. Is moving it really truly necessary? Your decision. I also agree strongly to not make it the absolute minimum size you can possibly maybe get by with. That limits you so much on what yo can do. I value enough room to give me some flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom