Coop themselves??

If you consider it important for them to sleep in the coop, keep putting them in at night for at least the first week, unless they put themselves in before you get out there.

If you are curious what they do, and not worried about them sleeping out in the run, then you certainly can watch to see. As long as the run is safe, sleeping in it won't do them any real harm (although they may form the habit of sleeping in the run instead of the coop.)
This is my first chicken experience. Is it bad if they sleep in the coop?

Just keep putting them up until they do it on thier own, it shouldn't take too much longer than a week. Going out early and leading them up with treats and putting a little light in the coop for a few days will help speed the process. It's too hot to coop them in right now in 90% of climates. It is a little effort, but it's not forever. If you don't you risk them making a snuggle pile in the corner of the run and making a habit of that, I can't tell if you have hardest cloth on the lower portion of the run or not, and if not obviously things can grab, nibble, or paw at them.
1/4” hardware cloth. It was a Bia&$ toninstall 🤣

I may keep manually putting them in for the next week I guess. I am paranoid of anything even though we reinforced the run. Hopefully after 5-7 days they will get it. I moved their food and water into coop and have a magnetic light on a metal bar. (Just to entice them….)

This is my first chicken experience. Is it bad if they sleep in the coop?

Chickens need to sleep somewhere safe. That means where predators cannot reach them, where they do not get rained on, where they are not in snow or a heavy wind, etc.

It is possible to build a covered run that is predator-safe and let chickens sleep there. In some hot climates, that is better than a coop with solid sides (because a closed-up coop can get very hot inside.) But in a climate with cold, snowy winters it would not be a good idea.

So it really depends on your climate, and your run.

I may keep manually putting them in for the next week I guess. I am paranoid of anything even though we reinforced the run. Hopefully after 5-7 days they will get it. I moved their food and water into coop and have a magnetic light on a metal bar. (Just to entice them….)
My chicks got it quick quickly...but I guess it depends on individual birds.

Chickens need to sleep somewhere safe. That means where predators cannot reach them, where they do not get rained on, where they are not in snow or a heavy wind, etc.

It is possible to build a covered run that is predator-safe and let chickens sleep there. In some hot climates, that is better than a coop with solid sides (because a closed-up coop can get very hot inside.) But in a climate with cold, snowy winters it would not be a good idea.

So it really depends on your climate, and your run.
Currently climate is hot and humid, although we are new here in TN, I know fall and winter can get cold. I am putting up the cover to the run tomorrow. The coop is there to protect them from all elements.

Back
Top Bottom