Coop ventilation

Quote:
Yes, many people do things like that, and many times it works ok. However, many other times it doesn't. Which is why I don't think it's the best plan. (That doesn't sound like gruesomely little ventilation, btw, assuming typical 3 1/2"-high soffit venting... it may well be around 1.52 sq ft of vent for a 32 sq ft coop (plus popdoor), which isn't the safest amount but a lot better than even less...)

It's like: I know a bunch of people who keep horses in a barbwire paddock with a rusting-out Chevy, and in ten or twenty years have never had an injury from it. Doesn't mean I'm going to recommend it as a good way to keep horses, because it does not work predictably well and an awful lot of people who try it will experience lotsa trouble.

But if you know what you want to do, then just do it, no point in asking BYC advice, eh?
wink.png

Good luck,

Pat

We are building ours too, and we put a roof vent in ours. Not the spinning kind, but the square kind about a foot wide. We have one small window and one medium window. I'm in there painting w/ the door open and it's already warm (and it was only in the 70's). I didn't want to build it on the hill/slope, so we had to put it where it's shaded in the AM, but not the afternoon/eve, the hottest part of the day.

I need a FAST growing shade tree. Maybe just a really large patio umbrella on a really tall poll?
smile.png

Oh, all these concerns!!

One question. Any idea about how to put a screen door in when the door opens OUT?? Maybe something that works temporarily?

Last edited:
Quote:
I was not looking for a way the do with less ventilation, I was saying that I think he is headed for trouble.

Ah, sorry about that! My apologies.

He might not be, though, you know. I genuinely DO know people with animals kept in ways that, er, are not the best bet for health and safety, yet who've had none of the expected problems for years and years. Some of it is definitely luck, some of it is also you can get away with some things in some situations better than others.

So, I am still glad you have more ventilation than he does, and I do not think you will ever regret it in the slightest
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom