Coop vs shed

kscope75

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2021
I have a single duck and right now she sleeps at night in a xl dog crate! I have it covered on three sides with a tarp and it sits on a piece of plywood.
I am looking for a new house for her, I don't want a large one, but I know she will not climb ramps, so I am not sure a chicken coop high off the ground will suit her.
She is an odd duck, she will climb the steps to the front and back door of my house, but will not go up the ramp to the side door. Which is strange in itself, because before coming to live with me, she would walk up the ramp to my daughters deck. I think maybe because it was a very short and low to the ground. I also put a ramp up for her to get into her pool and she refused to use the ramp. I have set up steps for her pool inside and out, she will use the steps to get out of the pool, but will not use them to get in the pool.
I have been looking at small tool sheds, but not sure if I should get a metal one or a resin material.
What would you recommend, during the day she is a free range duck, I live on a farm, but my barn is very old and not secure enough for her.

A dog house or dogloo work fine for ducks and geese. Place it in a chain link panel dog pen (6x6 is big enough). I have had good luck finding dogloos for free on CL and chain link panels for $10-50 each.

it's been a few months, but thanks for your feedback! I was not able to get the shed I wanted, so settled on a low to the ground chicken coop! At first she hated the chicken run, but loves the coop, so much so, so far this winter she refuses to come out of it!
However, here it is in the middle of January and she has been losing her feathers for the past 2 weeks. Her feathers, including wing feathers and they are also turning a yellow color. It is too cold here for her pool and I have let her use my bathtub to take a bath too help keep pest away. She is currently on 16% should I increase to 20%?

Back
Top Bottom