Coop with no shade

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by All about the EGG, May 6, 2008.

1. Our coop is currently in an area with no shade the majority of the day. I was thinking of putting slats thru the wire on the run, any other ideas?

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I would try and provide some kind of shade. The coop can get very hot and then the chickens really have no way to get out of the heat, unless they are free range, but the coop still gets hot.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have shade cloth (from home depot or lowes) over the tops of some of my runs that don't have much shade.

4. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
  5. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Also check if you have any place locally that custom makes tarps and canvas.

We have a place that we are going to have make us a nice custom sized, grommeted shade cloth to fit our run. It will actually be cheaper than any I've found elsewhere online or in the hardware stores. Still it's pricey though. If you don't want to fork over the dough, maybe strategically place a tarp at least to provide some shade, or plant something on the south side of the run.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Even Sears is selling shade sails and tarps can be used with those built-in grommets. I picked up one at a discount place last week for $4.00!

Your shade will also double for rain protection. Even a sheet of thin plywood or particleboard could be attached at an angle from your coop, or you could built a platform tall enough that they can duck under it.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  7. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Noticing that you are Lake county, I'd suggest something permanent like vines that will cover/shade and look very nice to neighbors who might not appreciate chickens. In summer they shade the pens, in fall through spring no leaves so sunshine gets through.

I use a grape vine as chickens and I both enjoy the grapes.

8. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    Gourd vines work great. My aunt used them for years. plus you get gourds.

9. Those are some good ideas, thanks. Yes, Lake county. The neighbors say they are ok with it.

10. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Last year I used an old pool cover that used to be my neighbors. It was half rotten and falling apart but it was free. Worked great except it flapped something horrible in wind. This year I'm moving on up with a master shade cloth [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by