cooped up versus covered in ash

Do you have a garage?
I'm in Texas. When we've had tornado/hail warnings I've put my flock of roughly 16 into my garage. I just put newspaper down, especially under wherever they are sleeping if they are spending the night in there. It's actually super easy. It kinda makes me wish I didn't spend so much time and money on a coop! I also let my broodies sit on their eggs in tubs in the garage/laundry room, but that's a bit off topic. Honestly when mine are free ranging and I'm working on the garage, it's hard to keep them out. They know that's where I keep their treats :).
How well are your chickens trained? Are you at risk of having to quickly evacuate? If so, will you be able to very quickly get your chickens into your vehicle?

We're in no danger where I live. The girls are self-trained to go into their coops at night. Other than that they're unruly, wild beast.

My air hasn't been nearly as bad as yours but I haven't changed a thing with my flock, other than not letting them out for afternoon free range time - that's more for MY health than theirs. Obviously if there's going to be any long term effects we'll find out later. But I figure it'd be more stressful to change up things on them, and I don't have an enclosure big enough to hold 11 birds indoors/in garage anyhow.

At least we had a couple N95 construction masks left so we wear those to take the dogs out, but otherwise just trying to minimize outdoor time.

Unless your coop is hermetically sealed with a hepa-filtered air recirculation system, keeping them locked in the coop will not do a bit of good. The smoke is in the coop, just like it is in your house. I live in Trinity County, CA, which has been in the "very unhealthy" range for weeks and my two young pullets are doing just fine keeping to their regular schedule. They are keeping themselves less active than usual and are spending more time inside, on their own. I do keep them in the smaller run with a tarp draped over the top to help keep as much of the large ash and particulates out as possible, but you cannot protect them from the smoke and smaller ash no matter what you do. Personally, I've found that I'm having much more breathing problem than my girls and I have masks and stay indoors.

Have you tried giving them some fresh fruit or veggies that will take them some time to pick over? In other words, give them something they have to work for like they do outside. Perhaps a whole ear of corn, sweet potato, etc.

The west coast has the world's worst air quality and I have no idea how long this will last. As advised, I cooped up my chickens and had done so for three straight days. Suffice it to say that they hated it. 2 of them stopped eating, 2 others stopped drinking, and the fifth wasn't doing either. Worst still was the smell. I've been debating whether to let them out on "unhealthy for sensitive groups" and cooping them up on all other horrible air days. I can't keep them inside for the foreseeable future. Where should I compromise?
I am only 7 miles from the Big Hollow fire in Wa. The air quality is terrible, and I cannot stay in the house, must take care of my chickens, including 7, 4 week old in a separate pen in the barn. I thought about cooping up all 17 of my adult chickens and then thought, well, if the fire gets any closer they would have a better chance running into the woods, so they stayed out free ranging. It is better today after the rain. Hope each day gts better.

My air hasn't been nearly as bad as yours but I haven't changed a thing with my flock, other than not letting them out for afternoon free range time - that's more for MY health than theirs. Obviously if there's going to be any long term effects we'll find out later. But I figure it'd be more stressful to change up things on them, and I don't have an enclosure big enough to hold 11 birds indoors/in garage anyhow.

At least we had a couple N95 construction masks left so we wear those to take the dogs out, but otherwise just trying to minimize outdoor time.
I agree , as formerly mentioned. We were at Stage one for 10 days, which meant , Be Alert, my throat and chest hurt every night, even tho I limited my outdoor activity as much as I could, needed to take care of chickens and chicks. Air is much better now, after the rain, my hens seem to be just fine, Thank goodness, and never slowed down laying.

Somewhere in my research I came across this little tidbit. Apparently chickens enjoy listening to Mozart. It calms them & supposedly even raises egg production. Perhaps this might help. I haven't tried this as I don't have chickens YET but some day I WILL. Anyway it is sure worth a try. It's no wonder they are upset, I'm sure you are too. I live in southern Alberta, Canada. We are no where near any fires at this time, but you have been sharing your smoke & poor air quality with us. I really hopes this helps.

I know how you're feeling. Mine also abruptly went from free range to completely cooped up inside. I explained "If I can't go outside neither can you." Their spokes-hen pecked me on the arm -- hard. Negotiations were not successful. Then I took a chair out to the shed and read a book aloud to them whenever I had a break. Ok, it sounds stupid, but they seem to have calmed down with these little social sessions.

Would extra treats and human interaction time help them cope?
How about playing Mozart to them? Apparently it calms them & increases egg production.

Back
Top Bottom