1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coopers Hawk...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kerriliane, Oct 2, 2011.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    SO I was alerted about an hour ago by my chickens making a hell of a lot of noise that something was up, so I go outside and can only see 3/25 of them...
    I then see a big group of them underneath the plum tree at the back of them 900sqft run. So I go around to the back of the run and see a bird, try to take off with a bantam sized chicken.. and the bird itsself is about bantam sized.
    I pick the chicken up, and throw it outside of the run so if it comes back, it can eat it on my lawn, not in with the chickens.
    One of my chickens got underneath a little structure, half were under the tree, a bunch were in the coop, some were in a bucket that was on its side..
    THey are good at hiding.
    ANyway, it did come back about 20 minutes ago.. and proceeded to eat the little rooster that I didnt care for anyway, and was just growing until it was auction sized, but oh well...
    I managed to get a photo of the little a-hole...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dont think it's illegal to shoot hawks here.. but we own a .22 and I've never shot a gun in my life, nor do I know how to load one. and my fiance isnt home..
    Will leaving my pitbull outside work to keep it away?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would keep the chickens locked up in the coop for awhile after a hawk attak. But if you want to let them free range then just keep an eye out for the hawk

3. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    its come back twice.. to continue eating the one it killed already....
    can i shoot it in canada?

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Doubt it. Canada may have different laws, but they likely have a protected status like they do in the U.S.

Just lock up your birds for a few weeks. The bird will realize the buffet is closed and move on. Nature abhors a vacuum, so if you shoot it, it'll be replaced eventually.

Edit to add:

Yep, illegal to possess, take, injure, or destroy a raptor, its nest, or eggs.

You can find that info under section 34 of the Wildlife Act of British Columbia.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I would guess now that you've told all us and who ever else is reading this, it's not a good idea to shoot it. Before you posted this when nobody knew, it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by