Cooping it up; Suggestions on the design?

Nyowpotopop

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
N.E. Ohio
So my beau and I are moving soon and would like to keep a few chickens. Actually honestly just a few. We're pretty decent at keeping our animal levels reasonable. And I'm planning a pen and coop. I don't think we could keep more than about four without expanding the size of the pen we'd like to have... And we're going to start with two. Here's my rough sketch;

Pardon the wrinkled paper. Almost all of this coop is planned to be made from recycled materials. The coop itself is going to be two feet off the ground, supported by bricks or cinderblocks in all four corners and the middle. The walls, floors doors and roof are made from pallets. By taking apart the shelving units and dressers that people like to throw out when they move I intend to line the inside of the coop with particle board or other thin wood and paint it with outdoor paint so it does not warp or rot. The real support for the coop floors and walls comes from the pallets (they're built to hold hundreds of lbs of things after all) and the particle board is mostly there to cover the gaps that the pallets have. It also helps with weight distribution in case of accidents. Then I can use the thicker shelf wood that is normally solid wood or plywood on the outside parts of the coop, roof and nest boxes. These will be sturdier and hold up better to wind and weather. The solid wood will also keep out snooping predators. The area between the particle board insides and the hardwood outsides will be filled with newspaper as insulation. This will keep the coop extra warm in the winter when we get down to 10 degrees outside in blowing snow. The roof will remain uninsulated and will have venting gaps for air motion that will help keep it cool in the summer and ventilated in the winter by allowing the hot moist air to rise and when it reaches the (colder) roof slowly sink out the uninsulated roof gap to outdoors.
The dimensions are pretty simple. The floor space inside is 5'X5' (25sq ft) not including nestboxes. The coop design is 3' high on the low part of the roof and 4' high in the middle for a total of 6' from the ground at the highest point. I designed the coop to go into the corner of a fenced in area 6' high (because we're going to be in a city suburb) so two walls of the coop have nothing on them. There are two nest boxes on the pen side of the coop. There are two doors on the remaining wall. They open outward from the middle to allow full access to the coop from outside the pen.
The nestboxes are about six inches at the lowest point and a foot high at the tallest. Is this too short? They are a little under two feet wide each.
The ramp in is halved and hinged and lifts closed over the chicken door. Then it just latches into place. When you open it again it latches to the second half of the ramp that jut sits on (or is embedded into more likely) the ground. There are non-opening skylight windows in the roof for winter and two opening windows, one on each door.

So now comes the tricky part... The pen. And this is the part I think I really need help with. I'm trying to do this on a budget... Buying chickens does me nothing if it costs me $300 to make the pen so I'd like to cut that cost down. We have some predators in the area... In fact just about everything lives in the area but the only thing you see during the day is deer and domestics (cats and dogs) and those do tend to stay out of fenced lawns what few there are. However we have some bigass foxes around, coons and skunks at night plus the occasional hawk during the day. Most of these critters are well-fed from the massive local rabbit population but I don't put it past them to snag a chicken.
I can get chicken wire or deer netting pretty cheap. Mostly I'm trying to cut hardware cloth out of the budget picture and find alternative dig guards. I was wondering if burying wood or stones could be just as effective as burying hardware cloth. Keep in mind that this pen will already be within a 6ft wood fence (and that fence will be two of the four pen walls) so the extra 3ft up of hardware cloth isn't a big requirement to me. I could possibly find some more solid chainlink or wooden fencing I could use on the non-wooden fence walls just in case.
The total pen size is technically going to be 5X5 feet but also extends under the coop giving them an actual space of about 50sq feet outside the coop. About 10ftX5ft.

So... Coop and pen details out of the way I have some questions before I crack open my builders kit...

Do these plans seem sufficient for keeping a few non-bantam chickens in a backyard? We'd like to start by keeping two but want to have room for 3-4 in case we want to expand in the future. Is 50sqft outdoors (half of which is under the coop space) and 25sqft indoors enough for this or should we try to expand more? (We're fighting proximity to dwellings regulations so it could be hard without cutting into our potential future duck and rabbit space.)
What are some suggested alternatives for dig guards? Has anyone used something other than hardware cloth with any success? In particular if there is any sort of recyclable materials I could use.
Is there ANY way to plant the coop so I don't need to pour sand or something over the pen? I'd like to keep it planted if at all possible, but would like to avoid dog-toxic plants as well if at all possible.
Poop boards? Y/N? What to coat them with?
Nest boxes too short? How tall should they be?
Lastly.... Outdoor chicken toys? Since it's a bit of a smallish pen I'd like to have some things out there to keep them entertained and stimulated. Suggestions?

Last edited:
I suppose I should have specified! I'm looking into Orpingtons and EEs as my chickens since I've heard good things about both... Most notably that they can be quieter than other chickens on a day-to-day basis. (yes I know there's no way around the egg song.) My understanding is that these are both full-sized birds... And I don't really want bantams... I would rather have full sized eggs.

I am not good visualizing based on descriptions and maybe the pallets you are using are different than the ones I use around here (I'm an avid recycler too so I know where you're coming from. My compost system is built from pallets and the 10x14 coop I just finished building has a lot of recycled materials in it). I get what you're saying about filling the gap in the pallets with newspaper for insulation, although I would use straw instead - I think it will hold up a lot longer than newspaper. And as I understand it, you plan to use scrap particle board to line the inside where there are gaps in the pallets, but what about the gaps in the pallets on the outside? Every pallet I've ever seen comprises the least wood possible to do the job.

On the nest boxes, 6" does seem a little small if you are doing standard sized birds. My next boxes are 14" cubes (i.e. no high or low wall). 2' wide for one nest box is wider than they need. In my experience they prefer an individual private space to a community nest box, although some swear by the latter.

Regarding your run.....I live in the country where we have everything under the sun, but the predators I am most concerned about are all nocturnal. Therefore, my "run" (I call it a chicken yard rather than a run) is a 240x60 food area that is fenced with 5' high 2x4 welded wire. My coop is like Fort Knox, so my hope is that by locking them up securely at night (I just installed an auto door so I don't need to worry about forgetting to go and lock the door at night), I will keep losses to a minimum. My previous house (we just moved a few weeks ago) was an urban backyard, which sounds much more similar to your situation, and I didn't have a run there at all. They had a coop to sleep in at night and had the run of the backyard during the day. Yes, I used to see raccoons and opossums hit by cars on the side of the road within a mile of my house, but in 3 years didn't lose a single one to a predator, except the next-door neighbor's dogs and once we got that situation sorted out, I had no further losses.

i have 6 rhode island reds and my coop and run are 6ft tall 4foot wide and 10 foot long and they have plenty of room to scratch i am going to add about another 20x20 outside open run for them to play in around their coop and run. just so they can venture out and have more area to scratch durring the day when im outside with them

i have 6 rhode island reds and my coop and run are 6ft tall 4foot wide and 10 foot long and they have plenty of room to scratch i am going to add about another 20x20 outside open run for them to play in around their coop and run. just so they can venture out and have more area to scratch durring the day when im outside with them

I'm glad, it sounds like I'll be able to keep more chickens then our starting pair if I choose to. I thought this was a pretty decent design but I just wanted to make sure. :3 I'm not actually aware of standard sq ft/chicken ratio and can't seem to find a rule of thumb anywhere.

I get what you're saying about filling the gap in the pallets with newspaper for insulation, although I would use straw instead - I think it will hold up a lot longer than newspaper. And as I understand it, you plan to use scrap particle board to line the inside where there are gaps in the pallets, but what about the gaps in the pallets on the outside? Every pallet I've ever seen comprises the least wood possible to do the job.

On the nest boxes, 6" does seem a little small if you are doing standard sized birds. My next boxes are 14" cubes (i.e. no high or low wall). 2' wide for one nest box is wider than they need. In my experience they prefer an individual private space to a community nest box, although some swear by the latter.

Pallets come in different sizes, so I'll be using whatever I can find and cutting them down to size if required. I could use straw but that requires buying straw. Probably doesn't seem like a lot to add something like $5 of straw to the project but I can get newspapers from my parents for free and have heard they make GREAT insulation. As soon as we start to close on the house we want they will start saving their daily newspapers for me and by the time I need them there'll be tons... Enough to maybe even use as litter.
The particle board I was just going to tack onto the top of the pallets. Why cut them to fit in the slots when I could just toss them on top and nail them in? The outside of the pallets will be covered in hardwood or plywood depending on what I find. It's my intention to salvage shelving units from the neighborhoods that have apartments (which means lots of discarded furniture) and craigslist... The particle board pieces go inside the rest (the more heavy-duty stuff) goes on the outside.
I have some space (if you look that the design it's all to scale give or take some paper warping) to expand the nest boxes up so it shouldn't be too hard to make them taller. I will make them a little thinner too... And that's fine by me. Less wood, really.

I have read a lot of post about building coops on here and on everyone's post the most used Poop Board covering is vinyl which is very inexpensive or free if one wanted to go to areas where remodeling is taking place and get it there. It is usually tossed out on the curb every day. Thats my 2 cents worth. Thanks. Tritonman

For my poop board I used a free counter top that I cut to fit. It was already poop proof and easy to cut. I am sure you can find these on craigslist in your area. Also, you could use rocks as your dig deterrent. With my run I did bury the chicken wire, but instead of using hardware cloth to reinforce it I collected rocks from the woods and piled them around the coop structure and run. While it was pointed out to me that this could be a great location for snakes to hide I am not too concerned being in Ohio and not having any venomous snakes in the area. The bugs love the warm rocks and the chickens love the bugs, win / win!

Back
Top Bottom