Coops

reliant601

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 28, 2010
New Jersey
I need some pictures and ideas on coops. I have a very small property and I'm not to sure how big it should be? However, we do have very nosey neighboors where I don't want anybody to find out but yet I would like to atleast get some eggs. Also I want something small where I can have atleast maybe up to 7 chickens atleast maybe?

Trust me when I say "small" and "7 chickens" are mutually exclusive. You will need at least 28 sq. ft. of COOP space and 70 sq. ft. of run space for 7 chickens. How about starting with 2 or 3? I have 7 chickens, and I'm on the second coop (6x8') because the original one was WAAAAAY too small for more than 4 (it had about 12 sq. ft. so even 4 would have been crowded).

If you read the listings, you will find lots of people who underestimated the importance of giving the chickens adequate room to start with. Crowding leads to bad behavior like feather picking.

Read these discussions for a while before deciding what to get. If you go to the main page, there is a link to "coops" there, just don't try to go too small and then have to do it over like I did.

Quote:

there are 10000 of coop pictures in the coop section on byc check them out. also find out if your city has any laws against rasing chickens.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom