cored apple

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by justduckiehere, May 23, 2012.

1. justduckiehere

justduckiehere In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    I am considering coring an apple and hanging it in duck pen, thought it might be entertaining along with treat for our four peking's. Being new to raising ducks thought I would check if this is ok for them. I know the seeds are bad so will core it, they are about six weeks old.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like the concept, and at the same time . . .

I am a nervous Nelly, with a vivid imagination. I picture a duck getting a huge wad of raw apple stuck in its throat.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    LOL Amiga! That is the way my mind works too. With all my animals.

4. i agree, and i think being a nervous nellie is not a bad thing when it comes to animals. They can get into so much trouble no matter how careful you are. i core and chop apples up for my ducks. My chickens get them halved so they can peckity peck peck at them. My geese get them in thin, bite-size slices. Our goats get big slices. i personally like mine sliced with yummy hunks of cheese on top and a nice Chardonnay. [​IMG]

5. MallardDuckling

MallardDuckling Songster

Apr 29, 2012
    Montgomery County, Ohio
    Never tried it with cheese before. What cheese do you use?
    I usually just dip mine in carmel.

6. jessiduck

jessiduck Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    I agree with being nervous about animals and certain foods, because like babies, they cannot talk to tell you what's wrong!
    And most of the time when something bad happens, we're magically not around!

Just thanking God I saw a rat going by some spilled crumble before! Now I can either grab my pellet gun or set down some traps....maybe both :).

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

ya'll crack me up. [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like a nice sharp cheddar with apples.

So, perhaps I can try chopping up some apples and see if the ducks like them. So far, not so enthusiastic about fruit or red things.

9. justduckiehere

justduckiehere In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    so glad I asked...and thanks all for the feedback...guess they will continue with finely chopped apples and peas as treats and I will get a ball (no bell in since I worry they could possibly ingest that if ball broke (I got the nervous nellie thing too :) , My dh says...they are "ducks" you don't need to entertain them...but like our 2yr. old weimaraner, figure they might get bored and need something to play with...
    I am sooo glad I found this site.
    and I love my apples with seriously sharp cabot...or caramel ..yum!

10. Ah yes, a sharp or smokey cheddar goes great with apples!

So, you're getting a ball for the ducks to play with? i've never actually noticed my ducks wanting to play with something. They are either eating, drinking or playing in water, or sleeping. Now gooses, they appreciate having toys to tug and chew on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: