Corgis and Great Danes?

BobwhiteQuailLover

Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Wisconsin
Does anyone have Corgis or Great Danes? Can you guys post pics and tell about them?

Thanks
big_smile.png

I have a Welsh Pembroke Corgi and she is such a sweetheart! She was born on April 7, 2010 so she is still young but has now reached her full growth. She weights around 23 lbs, is shorter than my miniature schnauzer but of course they have the long body.

One thing you have to really watch with Corgi’s is their food intake, you do not want them to get fat because it is hard on their long back. She is very playful and has a TON of energy and holds her own with my Rottweiler. She may be a little dog but she doesn’t act like it or really sound like it. She has more of a big dog bark not that yippy little dog bark and she LOVES to use her voice. I don’t know if I just got “lucky” or if all Corgi’s are as noisy as her.

She is a very loyal dog and loves to be held and petted. She is also very stubborn but they are very smart and if you train them right they pick it up very fast. She is also a very good jumper even with or maybe because of the long body she clears child gates like they aren’t even there. Now to get back to the stubborn part… we have worked with her not to jump the gates but if she hears or sees something that she wants…over the gate she goes. We have learned to just put her in her crate if we need to keep her locked up. BUT she is also an escape artist. She has also learned to open the crate from the inside if you only latch one of the latches. By crate I mean those wire dog kennels. As a little pup she liked to nip at your heals to “herd” you because that is what they do… they herd. But we were able to train her not to do that to people but she is very good at chicken round up if you need that. My Rottie or the Corgi have never once hurt or killed any of my chickens. The schnauzer on the other hand has killed 9.

She was also the EASIEST dog I have ever had to house train! Though she still loves to chew on things… like socks.

I don’t have any experience with Great Danes other than to know they are HUGE and DROOL a lot.

29972_sammy.jpg

(edit) Corgi's also shed a fair amount.

Last edited:
38307_dogs.jpg

We have 2 Corgis. They are hilarious. Very full of energy and love. Our male is a little afraid of hrights, but hey it's kept him off the couch all these years, so that's a good thing.

When they were puppies we had to train them not to herd the children. they would run after them while they were playing nipping their heels and trying to get them in a certain area of the yard. They were very gental about it but still not a behavior we wanted and they were very easily trained.

They LOVE their chickens. They like to hang out with them. They watch over them and are very protective. We actually had to rehome a dog when we got chickens because he killed a few and the corgis were MAD about it. They would protect the flock form our other dog and it led to fights.

Our female is actaully motherly to the young chicks. Every new peep we hatch out must be sniffed from head to toe when it comes out of the bator. It is the funniest thing ever. She just loves them.

They are fantastic with the kids. If you want a dog that will play fetch this is your breed. they also run with our oldest son and keep up well. At the same time they love to snuggle and make a great lap dog. They do bark a lot at times. Our boy is also very good friends with out little pygmy goat (we have one little regualr sized goat and one very oversized pygmy goat). He also likes to herd the ducks around the backyard. I think with some work it could be really helpful. But right now he just does it for the joy of it from time to time. He NEVER touches the ducks except to sniff them.

I would get another one ina a heart beat. they are fantastic. And they always look like they are smiling. Who could resist that?

No experiance with Great Danes. It's one of my dream dogs, but DH says no. He never says no, so I have to listen on this one.

This is Ein.

Corgi's are great dogs. Super smart, soooo cute and athletic in a small package.
They will tend to overeat if you let them though so strict rationing is advised.

I've owned, showed, and bred both (Danes and Cardigan Welsh Corgis).

Danes are the best, best, BEST dogs on this entire earth, but the commitment and short lifespan will gut you pretty fast. I adore them, but when we switched breeds it was such a huge relief.

I have Cardigans, not Pems, but I think Cardis are one of the ideal small-farm breeds. They have an off switch, they're thinkers, they have retained more herding instinct in the average dog than the Pems, but they are small enough to be portable and fit half a dozen to a bed.

My "website" link over to the left goes to my Cardigan site.

Back
Top Bottom