Corid and eating

sayccrn

Songster
Jun 14, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! Last Friday, I noticed that one of my older chicks had some orangey/reddish 'blood' in her poop. It was still formed, so if it was Coccidosis, I caught it early. Not sure it was or if it was intestinal lining. I did not observe any worms in any one's stool. I started them all on Corid last friday, saw the same 'blood' streaked formed poop every morning for 3 days, just one poop a day, haven't seen any since. There was also one chick with watery white poop, and one chick with watery brown poop. Not black, definitely brown, no obvious or questionable blood/worms. It's been almost a week, and I have been dosing as per this site and I noticed that they don't seem to be eating much of their fermented food. Could it be the CoRid? They still are gobbling up cucs and watermelon, and I place the watermelon in the pan with the corid, so they slurp that too when getting the watermelon. Other than not eating as much fermented food, they seem themselves, happy and chasing flies. The fermented feed is made fresh, and they usually go through 4 cups of it, but now they aren't touching it, or mostly picking at it and it is only fermeted 24 hours before it is used. So, It's not spoiled. Could something else be going on with them? Or is this normal for Corid? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Also, high water content things like watermelon and cucumbers, will reduce their intake of water, and thus reduce intake of the medication. Dosage of Corid in the water is based on the average daily intake of water. I would stop those really, until treatment is complete, or it may not be effective.

Also, high water content things like watermelon and cucumbers, will reduce their intake of water, and thus reduce intake of the medication. Dosage of Corid in the water is based on the average daily intake of water. I would stop those really, until treatment is complete, or it may not be effective.
I know, but it's so hot and I also put it in the water with corid, cuz I really do not see them drink much at all or eat. so I should just leave their regular food and water there even if they aren't eating it and not give them anything else, when it's sooo hot? I worry about heat stroke, it doesn't take the temps too much before two of them are panting.

You can freeze water bottles and put those in the waterers so that they keep it cool, but it won't dilute the mixture. I do that a lot in the summer. I keep them in the freezer and rotate them into waterers on the hottest days. If it's very hot, that may be why they are eating less. I would do other things to help keep them cool, shade, fan's etc. You can hose the ground down to help cool it, just keep them off until there is no standing water to drink. I know it's hot, I'm south of you, so well aware. But if it's coccidiosis, then the treatment is important to do correctly. If after 5-7 days on the medication you don't see improvement, then I would recommend that you get a fecal float test done. Some occasional intestinal shed can be nothing to worry about, but seeing alot of it can be an indication of coccidia or other internal parasites. The fecal would rule those in or out.

You can freeze water bottles and put those in the waterers so that they keep it cool, but it won't dilute the mixture. I do that a lot in the summer. I keep them in the freezer and rotate them into waterers on the hottest days. If it's very hot, that may be why they are eating less. I would do other things to help keep them cool, shade, fan's etc. You can hose the ground down to help cool it, just keep them off until there is no standing water to drink. I know it's hot, I'm south of you, so well aware. But if it's coccidiosis, then the treatment is important to do correctly. If after 5-7 days on the medication you don't see improvement, then I would recommend that you get a fecal float test done. Some occasional intestinal shed can be nothing to worry about, but seeing alot of it can be an indication of coccidia or other internal parasites. The fecal would rule those in or out.
Thanks, yes, I do all those other things as well to cool them off. How much do those fecal tests cost and do i have to take them to a vet? I have seen improvement already. so they must be drinking it. Is the Corid also a wormer? or should I do that after this is done?

If you have a vet that see's other animals of yours, they may do the test for you, it's the same test for all species. Every vet is different, has a different policy. I would call and ask. The test is usually not expensive. Corid is not a wormer, it only works for coccidia. Some strains of coccidia are more virulent than others, some recovery's take a little longer. I would always prefer to worm if I know for a fact they are there, rather than treating randomly. There are also mail in tests that can be used if you don't have a vet that will do it for you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ...colid=27RHKHAM35GO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If you have a vet that see's other animals of yours, they may do the test for you, it's the same test for all species. Every vet is different, has a different policy. I would call and ask. The test is usually not expensive. Corid is not a wormer, it only works for coccidia. Some strains of coccidia are more virulent than others, some recovery's take a little longer. I would always prefer to worm if I know for a fact they are there, rather than treating randomly. There are also mail in tests that can be used if you don't have a vet that will do it for you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ...colid=27RHKHAM35GO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom