Corid, Cocci?, Not better after 5 days...

MightyMama

Chirping
Jun 2, 2017
I lost one hen last week, and I've been treating the rest of my 3 girls with Corid. One was really bad, and I feel like I caught it in time, but she's still far from better.

To sum it up, they are all around 3-4 months old. Not laying yet:
Chick 1: dead - loss of movement, lost all her weight, in hindsight had always held her head close to her body, found with lice on her as she faded. It was 2 days of me battling her, she improved over one night, but in only a few hours got worse and then didn't make it through the night.
Chick 2: was limping, nothing but feathers and bones, panting, having trouble keeping her wings up - NOW, walking and acting fine, put on a tiny bit of weight, still has bloody and watery poops, losing a lot of feathers, wings are still drooped but she's not readjusting them with every step
Chick 3: was fine - NOW, lost weight, holding head close to her body
Chick 4: Appears healthy

I was treating with 3/4 tsp per gallon, but then I read that this was too low, so for the last two days I upped it to 1 tsp, which I'm now reading is STILL too low. They've been on it 5 days...do I keep treating them? Do I up the dosage? Or do I take them off it and give them vitamins and such?

Look at you chickens with a flashlight at night. Look for bug crawling on them. You could be dealing with mites/lice and or worms.
The bloody poops is a sign of cocci but it can mean other things too.
Vet fecal test will answer this.

In case anyone is interested in updates, I did take a leap of faith and chose to stop the corid (in all, they were on it for about 11-12 days, 5 days were high dose) so that I could put vi-tal in the water, and she's already showing signs of improvement. Her wings are starting to rest higher, her poops are more solid (though still a bit soft), and she's put on some weight in the last two days. I have no doubt that the corid helped right in the beginning, things were happening fast - my one died and this one was showing the same weakness signs, and the corid definitely stopped it and improved it a bit, but then she plateaued and wasn't improving anymore. Even though it's hot as can be, its noticeable today. I feel like I can breathe a little easier....I'm looking forward to seeing how she's doing tomorrow. I think we might be passed all this, fingers crossed.

I lost one hen last week, and I've been treating the rest of my 3 girls with Corid. One was really bad, and I feel like I caught it in time, but she's still far from better.

To sum it up, they are all around 3-4 months old. Not laying yet:
Chick 1: dead - loss of movement, lost all her weight, in hindsight had always held her head close to her body, found with lice on her as she faded. It was 2 days of me battling her, she improved over one night, but in only a few hours got worse and then didn't make it through the night.
Chick 2: was limping, nothing but feathers and bones, panting, having trouble keeping her wings up - NOW, walking and acting fine, put on a tiny bit of weight, still has bloody and watery poops, losing a lot of feathers, wings are still drooped but she's not readjusting them with every step
Chick 3: was fine - NOW, lost weight, holding head close to her body
Chick 4: Appears healthy

I was treating with 3/4 tsp per gallon, but then I read that this was too low, so for the last two days I upped it to 1 tsp, which I'm now reading is STILL too low. They've been on it 5 days...do I keep treating them? Do I up the dosage? Or do I take them off it and give them vitamins and such?
Welcome to BYC! I'm guessing you have the powder? If so, treat with 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. You can also mix 1/2 teaspoon with 2 teaspoons of water and give 0.34 ml orally per pound of body weight for 1-3 days. This can be done in addition to their medicated drinking water.

Having seen the label I posted, is it the same? or was I any closer on the dosage?

The cattle directions on your bottle are below, but here is my math:
Cattle dose
One bottle make 100 gallons
  • 16 ounces = 473 ml
  • 473 / 100 = 4.73 ml per gallon, or one teaspoon (5 ml)

Poultry dose is twice that, so two teaspoons per gallon.

"In Drinking Water
Mix CORID daily with fresh drinking water.

5-DAY TREATMENT: Add CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to drinking water at the rate of 16 fl oz/100 gal. At the usual rate of water consumption this will provide an intake of approximately 10 mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Offer this solution as the only source of water for 5 days. Use on a herd basis only; when one or more calves show signs of coccidiosis, it is likely that the rest of the group has been exposed, and all calves in the group should be treated.

21-DAY PREVENTION: During periods of exposure or when experience indicates that coccidiosis is likely to be a hazard, add CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to drinking water at the rate of 8 fl oz/100 gal. At usual rates of water consumption this will provide an intake of approximately 5 mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Offer this solution as the only source of water for 21 days."

CORID 9.6% Oral Solution
This page contains information on CORID 9.6% Oral Solution for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
  • CORID 9.6% Oral Solution Indications
  • Warnings and cautions for CORID 9.6% Oral Solution
  • Direction and dosage information for CORID 9.6% Oral Solution
CORID 9.6% Oral Solution
This treatment applies to the following species:
Manufacturer: Merial
(amprolium)

Coccidiostat

Active Ingredient
amprolium

9.6%

NADA 013-149, Approved by FDA

CORID 9.6% Oral Solution Indications
An aid in the treatment and prevention of coccidiosis caused by Eimeria bovis and E. zuernii in calves. For a satisfactory diagnosis a microscopic examination of the feces should be done before treatment. When treating outbreaks, drug should be administered promptly after diagnosis is determined.

Dosage and Administration
5-Day Treatment Protocol

21-Day Prevention Protocol

Daily Dosage: 10 mg amprolium/kg
(10 mg per 2.2 lb body weight)

Daily Dosage: 5 mg amprolium/kg
(5 mg per 2.2 lb body weight)

USE DIRECTIONS: There are 96 mg of amprolium in every 1 mL of CORID 9.6% Solution.

1 fl oz = 29.57 mL

1 fl oz = 2 measuring tablespoonfuls

8 fl oz = 1/2 pint (236.56 mL)

16 fl oz = 1 pint (473.12 mL)

In Drinking Water
Mix CORID daily with fresh drinking water.

5-DAY TREATMENT: Add CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to drinking water at the rate of 16 fl oz/100 gal. At the usual rate of water consumption this will provide an intake of approximately 10 mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Offer this solution as the only source of water for 5 days. Use on a herd basis only; when one or more calves show signs of coccidiosis, it is likely that the rest of the group has been exposed, and all calves in the group should be treated.

21-DAY PREVENTION: During periods of exposure or when experience indicates that coccidiosis is likely to be a hazard, add CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to drinking water at the rate of 8 fl oz/100 gal. At usual rates of water consumption this will provide an intake of approximately 5 mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Offer this solution as the only source of water for 21 days.

As A Drench
CORID drench solutions may be stored in a clean, closed, labeled container for up to 3 days.

5-DAY TREATMENT: Add 3 fl oz CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to 1 pt of water and, with a dose syringe, give 1 fl oz of this drench solution for each 100 lb (45 kg) body weight. This will provide a dose of approximately 10 mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Give daily for 5 days. Use on a herd basis only; when one or more calves show signs of coccidiosis, it is likely that the rest of the group has been exposed, and all calves in the group should be treated.

21-DAY PREVENTION: During periods of exposure or when experience indicates that coccidiosis is likely to be a hazard, add 1 1/2 fl oz of CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to 1 pt of water and, with a dose syringe, give 1 fl oz of this drench solution for each 100 lb (45 kg) body weight. This will provide a dose of approximately 5 mg amprolium/kg (2.2 lb) body weight. Give daily for 21 days.

1111006_arrow_left_03.png

RESIDUE WARNINGS: Withdraw 24 hours before slaughter. A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal.

1111006_arrow_right_03.png

WARNING: NOT FOR USE IN HUMANS. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) contains more detailed occupational safety information. To report adverse reactions in users, to obtain more information, or to obtain a MSDS, contact Merial at 1-888-637-4251.

PRECAUTIONS: FOR ORAL USE IN ANIMALS ONLY. MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION. For irritation, flush with plenty of water; get medical attention.

Restricted Drug (California) - Use only as directed.

STORAGE: Store between 5° - 25° C (41° - 77° F) with brief excursions to 40° C.

Benzoic acid 0.1% added as preservative

Technical Assistance: 1-888-637-4251

www.corid.com

Distributed By: Merial Limited, 3239 Satellite Blvd., Duluth, GA 30096-4640, U.S.A.

® CORID and the CATTLE HEAD logo are registered trademarks of Merial Limited.

Net Contents:

Product #

16 oz (473 mL)

1022-2220-02

Rev. 02-2008

1 gal. (128 fl. oz.) (3,785 mL)

23101A

1022-1736-03

Rev. 10-2007

CPN: 1111006.6

MERIAL LTD.
Merial is now part of Boehringer Ingelheim
3239 SATELLITE BLVD., DULUTH, GA, 30096

Telephone: 888-637-4251
www.frontline.com/gold/Pages/default.aspx
usa_flag.gif
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the CORID 9.6% Oral Solution information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.

*If I've been treating correctly with 3.25 to 3.5 tablespoons per gallon, after 5 days, is it safe to continue to dose at the 21 day protocol listed for preventative measures? If not, is it safe to treat until the roosters "catch up" with the rest of the flock? (I'm terrified of moving some birds and repeating the issue).
Okay... That is not the correct dose for cattle or poultry.

Cattle treatment dose is 5 ml (1 teaspoon) per gallon for 5 days.
Cattle preventative dose is 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 21 days

Poultry severe outbreak dose (which is what most people use) is 10 ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

How did you come up with the tablespoon dose?

Label
It used to be possible to upload a pic from my gallery. This time I was unable and had to retake the pic in order to include it in the post. Is that how it's supposed to work on this new version of the site?

Attachments

• 20170610_121357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
image.cfm
I clicked upload a file then it let me access my gallery which is what appeared in the post I made.
Hmmm... I'm gonna play with that feature!

Okay, so Corid liquid is 9.6% amprolium, but doesn't have poultry instructions. All 9.6% liquids can bu used, and Amprol makes a product labeled for poultry.

Okay, so this thread has taken off on me. That's completely fine, but while I have you guys here. This is after day 5 of higher dose corid treatment. My other two girls have really nice normal looking poops, just the one left. Anyone know if this is an okay poop or if this means that something else is wrong? Tomorrow I plan to start them on some vitamins, and hopefully that will help her gain more weight and get the strength back in her wings (they are still dragging just a little low).View attachment 1039217
The FDA and the mfg's suggest 7-14 days following the five day dose:
Liquid - 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days
Powder - 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days

Can you post a picture of her poop without any dirt? And maybe a picture of her?

Back
Top Bottom