Corid, Cocci?, Not better after 5 days...

Look at you chickens with a flashlight at night. Look for bug crawling on them. You could be dealing with mites/lice and or worms.
The bloody poops is a sign of cocci but it can mean other things too.
Vet fecal test will answer this.

Mix up 1/2 teaspoon with 2 teaspoons of water and dose the sickest one(s) with 0.34 ml per pound orally.

I was just about to start a thread for "non-emergency corrid questions" but decided to read this one first.
The info, as always here, has been super helpful.
First @ Mighty Mama, I'm so sorry you're going thru this. Whether it's your first chicken raising experience or your 100th, it is never easy to see creatures you care for and love in illness or suffering. I'm glad you're here on this forum. It's a wonderful, informative and very supportive place.

I also have had an issue with coccidia recently and I am hoping and praying it is resolving.
I totally dropped off the forum (once I was advised on meds, symptoms etc on a different thread) simply bcs I was so overwhelmed and felt so incredibly guilty and ashamed (my drama, not yours). I had dealt once before with cocci in 5-6 weeks old chicks, treated it promptly and got the usual expected resolution. So when I lost some of the chicks--the 1st I had ever brooded (rather than being cared for by a broody hen) I was in shock. I'm very good at blaming myself. I wish I had been better at recognizing the issue immediately, am shocked I did not.
I had purchased some chicks at TS, brooded them, crazy though it was, in my guest bathroom. Everything was going great. I also had a couple of broody-hatches going on in the usual outdoor coops.
It came to weather-wise, age wise, time to intro the youngsters to the outdoors. I did that and made an interim move for them into a fully enclosed coop with solid roof bcs I felt it was safest, intending eventually to move them to my larger coop/pen/run once they got more size and good sense.
I saw runny poops and attributed it to stress of moving.
By the time I realized it was cocci (there was never blood in the stool) it wasa weekend, it took 1 1/2 days to get the corrid (liquid was what I found first).
Treated the youngsters, lost some, saved some. Again, I was crushed.
Recently I noticed, again, runny stools of a rust-color--def not right.
I decided to re-treat, this time absolutely every chicken I have, all coops. So far so good, I think...
I started the 2 fully enclosed coops on Monday afternoon. Since I am still planning a move to a recently reinforced coop/pen/run that had been attacked repeatedly by raccoons over the winter (thank God that seems resolved) I also decided to treat the 2 roosters that live up there just awaiting their new girlfriends. I started them on corrid yesterday midday.

My Questions:
* what is the correct per gallon dosage of liquid corrid? (I'm following the instructions on the label but I trust folks here more than anything).
*If I've been treating correctly with 3.25 to 3.5 tablespoons per gallon, after 5 days, is it safe to continue to dose at the 21 day protocol listed for preventative measures? If not, is it safe to treat until the roosters "catch up" with the rest of the flock? (I'm terrified of moving some birds and repeating the issue).
* During the treatment, all of my hens/pullets stopped laying. Is that "normal"? I got my 1st egg from one of the ladies today. The 5 day course at the dosage I listed is set to be complete tomorrow afternoon.
* I've read that it is unsafe to eat eggs laid during a cycle of dewormer. Corrid isn't a dewormer. What are the standard safety time periods and do they apply here?
* Is it safe to save and set eggs laid during corrid treatment (if I have a broody which it looks like is fixing to happen soon again)?
*Is it appropriate, since I seem to have certain flock members who are especially prone to stress reactions, to make it a practice to run the 21 day preventative course (I believe it is at 1/2 dose) AND, if I make any move of housing changes in the future?
*Does anyone have suggestions on how long I should wait, if at all, to go forward with moving the hens that had been in the attacked pen back to their usual home and/or adding the newbies to their pen. In terms of space and appropriate square footage per bird, it is a very good idea since the predator issue appears resolved for a decent length of time, to reduce the # of birds that I moved into the fully enclosed pens a few months ago in order to protect them (I knew it was not ideal to over-populate the 2 enclosed coops, however 1 or more birds had been killed every single night by crazy predatory raccoons and it seemed the lesser of 2 evils, so to speak).

I am grateful in advance to anyone who has had the patience to read my very long post!
I apologize for unintentionally hijacking this thread and will be happy to move this post to its own thread if anyone suggests it's more appropriate that way, and plz Do tell me.
And thank you in advance to anyone who answers any of my questions.
I am content to be back at BYC!

Last edited:
*If I've been treating correctly with 3.25 to 3.5 tablespoons per gallon, after 5 days, is it safe to continue to dose at the 21 day protocol listed for preventative measures? If not, is it safe to treat until the roosters "catch up" with the rest of the flock? (I'm terrified of moving some birds and repeating the issue).
Okay... That is not the correct dose for cattle or poultry.

Cattle treatment dose is 5 ml (1 teaspoon) per gallon for 5 days.
Cattle preventative dose is 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 21 days

Poultry severe outbreak dose (which is what most people use) is 10 ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

How did you come up with the tablespoon dose?

Okay... That is not the correct dose for cattle or poultry.

Cattle treatment dose is 5 ml (1 teaspoon) per gallon for 5 days.
Cattle preventative dose is 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 21 days

Poultry severe outbreak dose (which is what most people use) is 10 ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

How did you come up with the tablespoon dose?

Thank you!
I came up with the dose by doing a calculation based on the instructions. I obviously did it incorrectly. Yikes.
So 2 TBSP per gallon. 5 days. The majority complete 5 days today.
Did I do harm by the too-high dose? I hope and pray not.
I will follow the 5 days with the 7-14 day dose. I wish the instructions had included the ml dose., I could have done that simply with a syringe for measure.
Please tell me I did not harm them. (or if I did, plz tell me what to look out for).

Do you have any ideas on the egg question?

Back
Top Bottom