Corid Dosage... no more confusion :)

I realize that this is an old tread, but my barred rock seems to have similar symptoms and I wanted to try Corid, only problem is that she is the only one who's sick. So, should I just medicate the other 5 chicken I have, they seem to be pretty healthy so far. Any ideas??. Thank you all!!

I realize that this is an old tread, but my barred rock seems to have similar symptoms and I wanted to try Corid, only problem is that she is the only one who's sick. So, should I just medicate the other 5 chicken I have, they seem to be pretty healthy so far. Any ideas??. Thank you all!!
When treating one chicken I always treat all the chickens who have been exposed to the poo of the sick one. The poo becomes very infectious with coccidiosis (just overwhelming numbers of cocci in the poo) and if they are laying eggs you need to decide if you want to toss eggs for awhile if you are giving Corid.

Medicated feed of course can have Corid and purina says with that there is no egg withdrawal, but it is in smaller doses.

You can look around on BYC for threads on withdrawal time for Corid (purina website has info too).

Some vets will do a cocci test on the poo for a small fee.

Last edited:
If you decide to treat with amprolium these are the amounts recommended by the mfg and the FDA.
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons (4.536 grams).
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon (2.268 grams).
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The .006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon (1.134 grams).
The .006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."
And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

This link has more info and the math done to come up with the dosing numbers:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you so much for getting back to me!..so far what I did was to take a poop sample to a veterinarian and she said that there no parasites at all..and also that if the symptoms started 3 weeks ago, some of the other chicken would be presenting some symptoms by now.In any case she seems to behave normal in terms of moving, mood and all that but still eating very little, though she is drinking a lot of water. At this point we don't really know why she is eating so little. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to tell me. Thank you all!!

Thank you so much for getting back to me!..so far what I did was to take a poop sample to a veterinarian and she said that there no parasites at all..and also that if the symptoms started 3 weeks ago, some of the other chicken would be presenting some symptoms by now.In any case she seems to behave normal in terms of moving, mood and all that but still eating very little, though she is drinking a lot of water. At this point we don't really know why she is eating so little. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to tell me. Thank you all!!
Have you checked her for any crop issues? Does her crop fill up during day and empty overnight? I agree that after 3 weeks if she had coccidiossi,she would be ill. I have also seen/heard several times where cocci has not show up in parasite test,depends on which strain it is. How does her poop look? Is the chicken in question a new addition or have they all been together since day one?

There are seven things I do with any chicken that looks sick.

1. Thorough exam which includes putting on a glove, KY Jelly and checking inside the vent for eggs, fluid, masses, cancer, etc. Look everywhere for lumps, swellings, cuts, bruising, odors, bugs, pus, etc.
  2. If bird is stable, dust with proper poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder, DE does not work. Note that I do this *even* if I cannot see any bugs as they can be very easy to miss.
  3. Weigh bird on digital kitchen scale in grams. Weighing in grams makes calculating doses of medicine *much* easier and allow for better tracking of losses and gains.
  4. Again, if bird is stable, it gets wormed with fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) at 50mg/kg by mouth (.5ml per 2.2 pounds).
  5. Place bird in crate, box, bin, etc. on a towel and keep inside where it's warm.
  6. If it is not drinking/eating it gets tube fed fluids, then tube fed fluids and baby bird food mixed with pedialyte or water, but only after hydration status is corrected. Never feed a dehydrated bird!
  7. Inspect poop, poop can give you an idea of how to treat.

-Kathy

thank you...u are all so nice....give you an update ..she now looks and behaves almost fine..except that she is eating only grass and green leaves..lots of them! and the dry worms snacks...she does not seem to like chicken food anymore!..I don't understand...we are putting probiotic powder in the water ..maybe that's helping...perhaps you can tell me what you think about this behavior..thank you all!!:)

Is the gallon made only good for 24 hours? How many times a day should you give the sick bird?
Are you referring to Corid? If yes,make fresh daily,make sure this is the ONLY source of drinking water. Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL birds for 5 days.

Great thank you! It's out first hatch and we lost a baby last night. The others are showing he early signs now and I want to act as quickly as possible to try and save them.

Back
Top Bottom