Corn Cob Bedding!

We were using a pine shaving bedding for the chicks. They were fine with it, but the corn cobs were cheaper so we bought that. Guess what? IT'S GREAT!!!! The smell is actually less than it was with the pine. My chicks have shown no interest in eating it. Although I don't put it in for them until after a couple weeks so they are used to eating food from their containers. I like the fact that it's something being "repurposed" as well. It's lighter, even when wet. It does seem to absorb more than I thought it would as well.

When I clean out the brooders or grow out pens, I can chuck it out into the woods or grass and no issues. Doesn't burn my grass. Sometimes the "big" girls will go investigate and spread it all around for me if I leave it in a pile. I usually notice a few days later that some little bugs have found it and made it a home, then the girls go crazy eating the bugs. So everyone seems happy.

I do like the stuff and plan on using it more.

We use corn cob bedding bought at RK in our large coop. It works AMAZING! Our floor space is a 4'x6' space, we used 1 bag felt it wasent enough so we added half a bag of pine flakes. It has been raining here non stop for weeks and my birds are always in and out. This has worked better than just pine. We are going to pick up new baby chicks today and was thinking of using the same mix Ratio.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom