Corn/Soy base feed or Non Corn/Soy or both!

larryrobinson

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2020
Hi !
I found an organic non processed non chicken/soy feed that can be fermented to feed my chickens. I put it out fresh daily first thing. I serve it in three bowls to disperse it. At the same time I have hanging free feeders with corn/ soy processed organic.
My chickens seem to like both. Is it good for them , though to offer two types of the “same thing” ? Or should I stop corn/soy?

Hi !
I found an organic non processed non chicken/soy feed that can be fermented to feed my chickens. I put it out fresh daily first thing. I serve it in three bowls to disperse it. At the same time I have hanging free feeders with corn/ soy processed organic.
My chickens seem to like both. Is it good for them , though to offer two types of the “same thing” ? Or should I stop corn/soy?
Hi !
Have a dedicated feeder (trundle feeder) so they're not worried about their food each day!
Hi !
Hens don't like to worry about their food source. It stresses them out. I learned this after putting out 6 bowls each day for my hens. They would gorge immediately, since they worried there would be no more food. Once I bought a Grandpa's trundle feeder they relaxed because the food was always available. Happy hens, happy life.

Also, what humans think is a special nutritious diet might be robbing hens of their required nutrients and regular diet. Please feed a high quality layer feed and pepper oyster shells only as needed when observing shells. The biggest issue with human women and soy is that it suppresses their regular cycle. Are you trying to make chicks? Or eggs?

Also, what humans think is a special nutritious diet might be robbing hens of their required nutrients and regular diet. Please feed a high quality layer feed and pepper oyster shells only as needed when observing shells. The biggest issue with human women and soy is that it suppresses their regular cycle. Are you trying to make chicks? Or eggs?
Thanks for your feedback!! I am trying to make eggs, what I am doing is fermenting the Scratch and Peck, feeding it freely and feeding an organic crumble mix in gravity feeders as well.

Have a dedicated feeder (trundle feeder) so they're not worried about their food each day!

Hens don't like to worry about their food source. It stresses them out. I learned this after putting out 6 bowls each day for my hens. They would gorge immediately, since they worried there would be no more food. Once I bought a Grandpa's trundle feeder they relaxed because the food was always available. Happy hens, happy life.
Thank you for your response! I didn’t quite get it right away but your answer to my question was perfect. I am fermenting Scratch and Peck Organic Layer Feed, and leaving the organic layer crumbles in gravity feeders. My hens have access to one or the other full time.

Hi !
I have this very same question. I don't think a steady diet of corn and soy is healthy. I have been considering a feed without corn and soy.

Actually a steady diet of soy protein, TMI I know, clogs me up big time. Had to quit soy filled protein bars. Is soy good for chickens or just a filler. I have 8 wks old pullets.

Actually a steady diet of soy protein, TMI I know, clogs me up big time. Had to quit soy filled protein bars. Is soy good for chickens or just a filler. I have 8 wks old pullets.

In poultry diets, soy is used because it offers the best Amino Acid profile for the chickens nutrient requirements. It is the most expensive grain in the mix, and would be the last thing used as a "filler".

We are a manufacturer that produces feed rations with soy, and also without soy. We offer it both ways, and let the customer choose which diet they prefer for their flock. With that said, I can definitely say that the hens on a regular diet, with soy in it, are overall healthier, live longer, and lay better. It isn't a huge difference, and is only easily measurable on very large flocks. So, for a backyard flock, it doesn't really make a difference.

It is just hard to manufacture a perfectly balanced amino acid profile in a poultry feed, without using soy. We are able to get very close, but not quite 100%......

I learned earlier that based on an older USDA recommendation the layers need to have Crude protein 15%, Lysine 0.69%, Methionine 0.3% and Tryptophan 0.16%.
Recently I read that brown egg layers need to have even more these nutrients (at the feed rate of 0.22lb/hen/day):
CP 18%, LY 0.84%, ME 0.36% and TRP 0.19%.
However, the TRP is not labeled on any feed I looked over. Why is that? Can you provide TRP in your feed?

I learned earlier that based on an older USDA recommendation the layers need to have Crude protein 15%, Lysine 0.69%, Methionine 0.3% and Tryptophan 0.16%.
Recently I read that brown egg layers need to have even more these nutrients (at the feed rate of 0.22lb/hen/day):
CP 18%, LY 0.84%, ME 0.36% and TRP 0.19%.
However, the TRP is not labeled on any feed I looked over. Why is that? Can you provide TRP in your feed?
Have you read this book yet?
Notice the READ ONLINE link on this page:

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/2114/nutrient-requirements-of-poultry-ninth-revised-edition-1994

Back
Top Bottom