Corn

Hi, I only give my girls a handful of corn each and a bit scattered on the floor at night and I have been told by a lot of my fellow chicken keepers and 3 recommended Poultry farmers that it does help to keep them warm at night over the winter months. I have been told and read from BYC and from various books on the subject (all English sources, from my local library), not to feed to much and just keep it as a treat which I do. I have learnt that it is certainly a good training aid when you want them to come back to you if you shake the box loudly! Over here in England all the Poultry owners I have spoken to or sought advice from have told me that corn is good to give them before they go up to roost because it helps keep them warm so it is pretty common knowledge over here it seems. I have never been told or read anywhere that it should not be given in the summer, I am sure in moderation is ok. Not all my hens like it actually, 3 of them love it and one of them is not so keen on it and seems to be content with a good old forage in my garden. I think as long as you are sensible with it , it is fine and like all things "good in moderation" . None of my hens are fat...but then I don't give them human scraps from the kitchen apart from apple and a bit of left over bread and a few oats. I wonder about the goodness of human scraps for animals in general anyway, in fact I would think that human scraps are more likely to make chickens overweight and upset them than any of the other Poultry feeds recommended. (bar left over fruit and veg of course) I did read one book that says that it is quite rare for a hen to take too much of what they need, ie of their layers pellets or from foraging but corn seems to be something that is stressed to be just a treat at the end of the day. It seems that they like it so much that they possibly would not eat their layers pellets if it was given too much and before the end of the day when they have done most of their feeding. Bit like dogs then in a way....if they are given too many treats they get all fussy and wont eat their regular dog food...well mine does anyway!
My conclusion is that corn is absolutely fine as a treat and at the right time of day only and in moderation.
Exactly. I feed our birds corn several times a week before bed, and as long as its in moderation it's fine.

Last edited:
What websites, what books?

Post some links, prove to the people that read this that your information is correct and that mine is incorrect.

On the Mealworms, they don't stop eating them because they are low in calories and it take more of them to fill the caloric need of the bird. Feeding a high protein low cal. food will make a chicken far more fatter than corn will.
There is no one-method for chicken keeping. Your way works for you, and mine works for me.

As far as corn goes, every chicken keeper I've talked to has told me that corn keeps chickens warm during the winter. I even saw a show on Animal Planet this week talking about it being a "hot food". Every article I've read says the same thing. It's a common chicken knowledge. Your opinion is that it is a false theory, and I respect that but I do not agree. Go on to any youtube video talking about feed, and every video will talk about corn keeping chickens warm during the winter. It is a fattening food, and it takes longer to digest, which also helps keep them warm at night.

You're the first person I've ever talked to on BYC arguing that corn doesn't keep them warm. If more people back you up, then I might put more research into it, but my theory is the theory that 99% of people on this website believe.

As I stated before, I'm not going to argue with you. You didn't mention books or websites, so why should I have to quote mine? This is a friendly forum, not a debate site.

Good luck with your birds and have a good one.

Last edited:
It's a good way to get the kiddies involved too as they love giving them the corn from their hands and it helps tame them. All a bonus for me so I am not going to worry to much about the corn debate, sometimes you can over research stuff and some research is just nonsence...for example when I was researching getting chickens I read one book that said you should keep chickens away from children and dogs. Now dogs I understand. (mine is always under control on a lead or locked away when the chickens are out in the garden) But children? My hens absolutely love my little girls and my little girls love them back so that is absolute rubbish. As long as your children respect the hens and look after them and act sensibly around them I don't see the problem. Another source told me that chickens seem to have an affiliation with children...I am pleased I took no notice of the former research!

I think it seems a bit sad that Leghorn feels they have to leave this conversation as everyones advice is valuable, especially to beginners like me. I don't think anyone should be expected to source their reading, this is a friendly forum where advice and experience are supposed to be believed. I don't think anyone is being dishonest about what they have read, I certainly hope I am not expected to trek back to the Library and get all the numerous amounts of books out I have read to quote on here!! I expect to be believed (even though I am a beginner!!)

I think it seems a bit sad that Leghorn feels they have to leave this conversation as everyones advice is valuable, especially to beginners like me. I don't think anyone should be expected to source their reading, this is a friendly forum where advice and experience are supposed to be believed. I don't think anyone is being dishonest about what they have read, I certainly hope I am not expected to trek back to the Library and get all the numerous amounts of books out I have read to quote on here!! I expect to be believed (even though I am a beginner!!)

If one feels they "have to leave" a conversation simply because they are asked for factual information to support their assertion on a matter that is scientific (such as nutrition) that is not the fault of those who have scientific evidence to the contrary of said assertion. Science isn't a matter of opinion. There is a difference between stating one's opinion and stating something as fact. As this is a site frequented to those who are new to the business of chicken keeping and because not everyone is as well versed in topics such as nutrition, it is even more important that the information presented as fact here on BYC be factual.

Last edited:
@Nel75 Thank you. As I said to @Chris09, this is supposed to be a friendly forum and people shouldn't be telling people to "do more research" and "cite sources". It would take me days to figure out where I read everything that I have. And If you have any questions feel free to start a thread and ask. Most people on here are very helpful. Everyone's opinion counts. I don't expect to be believed, but I do expect for people to respect my opinion. I wasn't getting much respect from 1 person on here today, so that's why I am not going to argue with him anymore. Good luck with your chickens!! It's a fun hobby.
smile.png

What part of not arguing do you not understand? You didn't site your sources and neither did I. I replied to you with respect but I'm not getting much in return. I'm unsubscribing from this thread so don't bother replying. As I said, have a good day.
I'm not arguing..
If you look around here on BYC my sources have been posted more than one time.
Also if did do some looking here on BYC you will find a name Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay, he has a PhD in livestock/poultry nutrition and works for Hubbard Feed,,, read what he says about corn. You might learn something.

Here is just one of the links I have posted on here over the years, if you want more you do the home work...

Quote: Feeding corn does not make them hot in terms of body heat, but will in terms of increased activity. In fact, feeding oats to provide the same amount of digestible energy per day will generate more body heat because oats have a higher fiber content than corn. Fiber digestion generates more body heat. Therefore oats, not corn, will actually produce more body heat.

I have had chickens for a little over 2 months now, (so you know how much I know) and this thread is informative and entertaining.
I'm a in moderation kind of guy and give my 7 hens scratch in the run once and a while, and in the yard and under their roost. Never a lot, but something for them to do and eat other than their regular food, and to turn over the liter/poop in the coop.
cracked corn, whole oats and flaked barley is in the scratch that I buy. I'm still on my first 50lb bag.
As far as whole corn kernels go, I'm surprised that they aren't too big for a chicken. I do have some ears of corn for the squirrels. Maybe I'll toss one out into the yard and see what happens.
As long as we are talking about keeping the chickens warm in the winter, how about giving them some black oiled sunflower seeds that I have for the birds?

Thanks for that last bit of info.

Last edited:
As long as we are talking about keeping the chickens warm in the winter, how about giving them some black oiled sunflower seeds that I have for the birds?

Thanks for that last bit of info.

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) is fine, it has a moderate protein level (16.8% +/-),is high in fiber at 29.0% and fat at 25.9%. The fiber helps generate some body heat and last in there system far longer than corn.
The other thing you might want to try is adding a little extra protein to there diet at night along with the oats.

On a side note:
When I feed BOSS I try to soak it for a hour or so before feeding to help with the digestion of the fibrous shells. (Oats I do the same way)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom