Cornfield

jp57

Chirping
May 1, 2017
Townsend, DE
Sorry if this is dumb question but I am new to this. I am raising my first flock of hens (no rooster). I have gradually been letting them free roam for a few hours every night. They stick near the coop and its enclosure and run into it any time they sense danger (like my daughter running over to hang out with them). I would like to get to the point when I let them roam all day. I have over 5 acres with the house and several other building so they have plenty of areas to duck for cover if needed. My concern is my property is surrounded by hundreds of acres of cornfield. Is there any chance of a bird wandering in there and getting lost? I'd hate for one of them to sprint into it for cover and not be able to find her way out. Would she call to the others for direction? Thanks in advance.

I wrote that wrong. I meant to say I let them out a few hours before it gets dark. That way as it is getting dark, they head back into the coop.

The chickens have pretty good navigation skills. Problem to be concerned about it where a predator might disturb them. If forage good, they will not go far out into field.

Rooster in pen might be good here because his crowing would serve as reference point.

The chickens have pretty good navigation skills. Problem to be concerned about it where a predator might disturb them. If forage good, they will not go far out into field.

Rooster in pen might be good here because his crowing would serve as reference point.
My decision to not get a rooster was solely on the noise. I have started to want one for protection, I just don't need the noise. I moved out to the boonies and I like the quiet it provides. Corn is the best neighbor I have ever had.

Hens might benefit. General protection value of rooster minimal unless chicks involved. Rooster noise may offset deficit of sounds afforded by monocultured corn around you.

Sounds you are likely to here now will be less frequent but also be indicative that something is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom