Cornish bantam very overweight

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
In the last few weeks that I've been out with the flock more, cleaning the pen more often etc, I've had more time to pay attention to the birds. Everyone is happy, and oh my, the antics! It never gets old. :D One thing I did notice recently is that my Red Laced White Cornish bantam is very overweight. Her breasts beside her keel bone are stretched very tight, and almost level with the keel. Not bulging over like a Cornish Corss's breasts would be, but I was surprised by how over weight she was. And I thought Doodle was a pain.
I feed Scratch and peck starter (corn and soy free) free choice dry. I haven't had any issues with them picking through the feed. I keep a close eye on that since I know it can be an issue. I keep the feeder on a flat wood board so any spilled or picked out feed will fall there, and I can take account of it. I did just start a batch of fermented feed to give that a try. .I just started offering OS free choice again since they have started laying. I don't feed treats that often. Honestly I think I buy more treats than I actually feed them. I give them a handful or two 1-2 times a week, but I just use it to encourage scratching up the bedding. I have 7 bantams, 1 standard, and 1 ravenous meat bird in that pen. ;) So a small handful of mealworms or 2ish flock spoilers 1-2 times a week.
She gets plenty of exercise. The feeder is raised so Doodle can't get to it, and I have plenty of perching opportunity in that run which I see her use often. She's about 6 months old I believe. I know she is a Cornish, but I guess I assumed that since she wasn't a Cornish X I wouldn't have to worry about her weight. :idunno
At this point I've stopped feeding treats all together, and have just been scattering feed in the bedding. Should I put her on a feeding program with Doodle? That will be difficult since Doodle isn't able to get to the raised feeder, she is perfectly capable. I'd have to seperate her, and I don't have any other Cornish bantams, so I'm not sure who I would sperate her with. Doodle would be a jerk in a smaller space, and I want to offer the rest of the flock free choice feed. I'll have to think on that one.
Suggestions? Thanks everyone, I'm prepared to do what I have to get to her weight down. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I know it will cause serious issues in the long run. I appreciate your help. :)

Bumping this thread. I almost forgot I posted this. :p
Photo-
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

I realize this is an old thread, but I just noticed that it doesn't really have an answer.

Cornish Bantams are SUPPOSED to have that shape. That is not overweight, it is the way they are supposed to be. Standard Cornish (purebred, not the meat hybrids) are also supposed to have that shape.

The problem with the Cornish Cross (hybrid meat birds) is that they have that shape along with very rapid growth. The pure Cornish grow enough slower that they can be fine.

Cornish bantams are not the same type of meat birds as Cornish crosses. They are supposed to have a bowling ball type shape. They're not going to be scrawny layers, though they are still nice layers.

Heck, I have a gal named ButterBall after the turkey company for her size.

Back
Top Bottom