cornish cross chick - too heavy to walk - what to do?

blueskylen

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
WV
our chicks are approaching the 5 week mark, and all but 2 are doing great. one is still about the size they were at 2 weeks, but is surviving and seems healthy, except not growing.

the one I am asking about is having a hard time walking, and with 3 weeks to go, i am not sure what to do? would putting it in a separate area and cutting the food back on it be the answer?

we take the food away at night , and they probably run out about 10pm until 7. i will start having them run out about 8pm until 7, altho, the rest are up and around, I don't want anymore to get too heavy to walk.

i think you should just go ahead and do the deed! or give him to me and i will eat him!
lau.gif

i'm in northern WV - 74 todays high - 48 lows. Supposed to start getting colder this weekend tho.

I sure hate to cull it, but if that is all that can be done for it.

I hope none of the others are heading in that direction, as they really aren't all that big yet.

i think that i will definitely cut down on their feed - maybe let them run out in the afternoon for a couple of hours and also at night. what do you think?

If you keep feeding and allowing the ones that can't walk just sit and lay about, when you do butcher, you'll see bruising on the meat so you'll have damaged, unedible meat and wasted feed and time w/those. Believe me, I thought I could do things for those type birds and keep them until butcher date but ended up throwing out the damaged meat. Others will look so very beautiful, too, making you want to keep them longer, possibly for breeding - stay w/the butcher date on those and take a good look at the liver, heart, kidneys, the color of the meat for blood flow...you'll do best to butcher the ones whose legs go out, immediately and the rest on date.

I agree if one is not walking at all, it is time for the cookpot or BBQ. As for the smaller one, it is probably being pushed away from the food, as long as it is healthy, I would seperate it from the others and give it it's own feed and water. I had a couple of roosters in my first batch a couple years ago that that were over 10 pounds dressed out. My family thought they were turkeys. Happy eating.

Quote:
I agree. This way you won't lose it in the night and then have to dispose of it. Go ahead and make some soup with it.

I agree, dispatch now. But not for soup! Make soup with tough, older birds. This one will be tender, fry it up. Or some other dish that needs a tender bird.

Yes, you need to butcher it ASAP. I have tried to get the leg problems ones to live, and then they just die and the meat was wasted. They are VERY good fried, even though small since the meat is very tender.

Back
Top Bottom