Cornish Cross Coop Design (Pet)

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
I'm looking for pictures of coop and run set ups for Cornish Cross rescue chickens that are not raised for slaughter. I have a roughly 7-8 week old chicken who will be living out its live with us and I'd like to provide it the best shot at a safe and happy life possible. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

IMG_20210223_204837_939.jpg

Meet Kit

Are you planning on limiting feed and doing everything you need to keep her healthy? Are you going to get more Cornish X in the future, or just this one?

Tractors work well for them. You can make a simple angled run, and then on the tall side, is the coop. Make a box with nesting area and perches, then a metal roof. You put the wheels on the coop/box side, and pic the angels end up to pull and roll it to a new area.

Heres the idea, but not the same design-
View attachment 2543835
This is a 2D sketch that shows my thoughts-
View attachment 2543836
Just this one for now. And yes, Kit is meal fed twice daily. Thank you!

Are you planning on limiting feed and doing everything you need to keep her healthy? Are you going to get more Cornish X in the future, or just this one?

Tractors work well for them. You can make a simple angled run, and then on the tall side, is the coop. Make a box with nesting area and perches, then a metal roof. You put the wheels on the coop/box side, and pic the angels end up to pull and roll it to a new area.

Heres the idea, but not the same design-
1614204309523.png

This is a 2D sketch that shows my thoughts-
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 1.59.14 PM.png

Just this one for now. And yes, Kit is meal fed twice daily. Thank you!
Thats really cool, but you may get more in the future? Do you think you could make the coop up to the fence near the Orps, so that she has some company but own get picked on? They are very social birds, so being able to see the others through the fence will be really good for her.

Thats really cool, but you may get more in the future? Do you think you could make the coop up to the fence near the Orps, so that she has some company but own get picked on? They are very social birds, so being able to see the others through the fence will be really good for her.
I was wondering about that. She is a really sweet bird and a fun little office companion. I like the idea of her being by the Orpingtons so she isn't so alone.

Do you think she'd be best with a friend that's the same/similar breed to her?

Thank you!

I was wondering about that. She is a really sweet bird and a fun little office companion. I like the idea of her being by the Orpingtons so she isn't so alone.

Do you think she'd be best with a friend that's the same/similar breed to her?

Thank you!
It really depends. If she starts to decline, (it is likely that she will decline faster then the average chicken) then the other may bully her. Orps seem to be very friendly to me, so you just have to see how it goes.
The hens you have may be just fine, but if not, a rescued Cornish X as a friend for her may be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom