Cornish Cross eggs

I can't say that I have ever seen those for sale.
idunno.gif

If we are discussing commercial cornish cross the industry is highly protective of them. All sorts of hoops and red tape involved getting involved in the broiler industry.

Quote:
That is only true for the end product of the pyramid that is sold through hatcheries. Secondly they would never breed totally true to the parents capabilities anyways.

Now the other four lines that go into making up that final product produce just fine.

Quote:
Select hatcheries have bred the 4 lines to produce a consistent product. The cost of developing the grandparent and parent lines is relatively high, maintaining two separate flocks to lay eggs to make another two flocks that in turn lays the eggs that are hatched to become the target bird.

After all that work and investment, would you go for the minimal payoff when selling eggs, or go for maximum payoff and sell the chicks so that somebody else could circumvent your access to a captive market?

Last edited:
Makes sense, I guess. I always assumed it involved complicated breeding, as the end result wouldn't be able to breed or lay eggs at all/well. But I didn't realize they don't sell eggs- I mean, if people want them and they mark them up a little (like higher than other eggs, but still cheaper than chicks) they could sell them. They would save on the overhead of hatching them, at least. But I was only curious- I'd much rather buy chicks myself than buy eggs.

Back
Top Bottom