1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Cross Runt? Or Different Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cecase, Dec 7, 2015.

1. cecase

cecase Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2015
    I just got in a batch of 25 Cornish crosses for a broiler show I am doing for my agriculture class. I have only had them for a week, and they are all growing noticeably bigger, except one. One is about 1/3 the size of the others and still has no feathers growing in on the wings when all the others do. The small one, I've named him Freddy, also has blackish grey on his feet and around his head. Its very faint, like someone used a paint brush and brushed ashes on him. Did they accidentally give me one that is a different breed? Or is he just a late bloomer with funny feathers? I'm secretly hoping he is a different breed because he is the friendliest out of all of them and now I'm super attached! I'm trying to post a picture of him, but I'm new and can't figure out how!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Farmgirl47

Farmgirl47 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    God's Green Earth
    I've gotten broilers before (they were Freedom Rangers though) and every time there was a 'runt', that for the first month or two, was way smaller then the others. You might have a runt, or maybe a different breed, but a picture would help determine which one of those. [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    If you posted pics, we could tell you.

4. cecase

Dec 7, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The first is the normal ones, the second is the small one. It's kinda hard to see the colors in this picture though.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on BantamFan4Life's post. If you can post some photos, we'd be happy to take a look at your smaller bird. :eek:)

6. cecase

Dec 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Here is a better picture of me not holding him

7. Farmgirl47

Farmgirl47 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    God's Green Earth
    I think that he is probably just a runt. He will most likely catch up (in size) to his buddies. Are all of your chicks the same crosses?

8. cecase

Dec 7, 2015
    I assume so, they all look the exact same except for Freddy. The school ordered them for us, but they are broilers that are supposed to get to butcher size by 6 weeks. The only breed that I know of that grows that fast is the cornish cross. I may be wrong though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by