Cornish Giant Questions

Happydaze

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 15, 2010
My mother in law used to raise 100 chicks at a time and is forever bragging that she has never lost one. I will be getting 100 chicks on Friday and have been reading that you can expect to lose about 30% of them. I need advice because I will NEVER hear the end of it if I lose some birds! Also, I was going to get a mixed order of pullets and cockerals but switched my order last minute to all Pullets. Can anyone tell me if the Cornish Giant cockerals are still as good to eat as the Pullets??

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about WHAT your Mother-in-Law says about her success at raising chicks. (her "Bragging" would tend to make me highly suspicious of her veracity)
wink.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

That's what I was thinking!
big_smile.png
I would just love to be able to tell her that I haven't lost any either and that is with a full time job also!! lol. Yes, I guess we are always competing. Maybe because she is always bragging and undermining me. Oh well!

30%...you can do way better than that....

tell her you raised 110%....when she questions you just tell her yuo are that good! Plus you could claim some tasted like beef and cooked themselves!

If they are being shipped to you the resonable expected loss is right around 5-10% (often its less), as long as your brooder is set up and ready for them you should do fine. Have some save-a-chic packages on hand. Also, your mother-in-law was I'm sure raising different chickens than these are, nowadays they aren't bred for with standing the test of time they only have to make it 5-8 weeks. They have had heart attacks and broken legs bred into them..... the real test would be to order her 100 also and she if she could do it now without 1 lost! Good luck with your meaties!

The Cornish X NEVER had " heart attacks or brocken legs bred into them" as that would be counter productive ... however, they grow extreamely fast as they were selectively bred to be the most efficient feed to meat converter in the least amount of time of all of chickendom. (Hmmm! Just look at any 100 pound couch potato toddler , s/he will have heart or leg issues too if they are allowed to eat whatever and whenever they want.) The Cornish X are processed at 35 days for a game hen, 6 weeks for a fryer, or 8 weeks for a roaster. The hatcheries produce mutimillions of these birds every year, so they must have an incling of what they are doing or they wouldn't still be in business. Where one will encounter these problems is failure to educate oneself then follow proper management protocol.

i agree that 30% is too high an average - i usually raise 30 to 65 each spring and lose maybe 3-4. if they are going to die it usually is the first day or so.
i think the most important thing in the first few days is to keep the temp from fluctuating so it is comfortable for them - not to hot or cold. watch for pasty butt - usually from them being too chilly - as it is a pain to have to keep it cleaned off. i also like to give them just cool water - not cold to keep them the same temp.

The original question was never covered, cockerels as good to eat as the pullets?
It's an old thread but I'm wondering!

So I did both and Yes! That Are just as good! I actually preferred them as they were bigger and had a larger breast! I sold the farm but if I were to do it over I'd probably go with all male birds! :)

Back
Top Bottom