Cornish Rock Meat Bird Breeding Project

BINGO!

8/11/2020

Our first collected broiler egg! Woohoo!!

Not sure but I think this egg could possibly be a fertilized CXxCX egg! If it is fertilized it could ONLY be CXxCX as no other roosters have had contact with my broiler hens but CX boys.

The birds are all still young when it comes to sexual maturity and this is probably the second egg as I noticed yolk on one of these hens yesterday.

It's good to know that they havent learned to eat eggs. I was quite concerned because of their restricted diet. They act hangry every time I visit them, even after they have been fed.

We put them on layer feed at almost 5 months and BAM... Yes. These birds are just over 5 months almost to the day and some or at least one of the six is laying.

On a different note....

I noticed that the CX birds seemed to have suddenly lost interest in their CX hens. After being confined with the ducks we figured our main rooster would immediately start mounting his hens but..... nope

It's been unseasonably warm and I also noticed this CX boy got frisky as soon as the cool weather kicked in. I think when it cools back off hes going to change his interest. Well maybe there is a little more hope going on there.

I couldn't have gotten this far without other folks observations and suggestions. I really appreciate all the input I've received and welcome any positive advice or input.

The broiler egg is the light colored one. The pic is a tad blurry, sorry about that.

IMG_20201108_153732_01.jpg

BINGO!

8/11/2020

Our first collected broiler egg! Woohoo!!

Not sure but I think this egg could possibly be a fertilized CXxCX egg! If it is fertilized it could ONLY be CXxCX as no other roosters have had contact with my broiler hens but CX boys.

The birds are all still young when it comes to sexual maturity and this is probably the second egg as I noticed yolk on one of these hens yesterday.

It's good to know that they havent learned to eat eggs. I was quite concerned because of their restricted diet. They act hangry every time I visit them, even after they have been fed.

We put them on layer feed at almost 5 months and BAM... Yes. These birds are just over 5 months almost to the day and some or at least one of the six is laying.

On a different note....

I noticed that the CX birds seemed to have suddenly lost interest in their CX hens. After being confined with the ducks we figured our main rooster would immediately start mounting his hens but..... nope

It's been unseasonably warm and I also noticed this CX boy got frisky as soon as the cool weather kicked in. I think when it cools back off hes going to change his interest. Well maybe there is a little more hope going on there.

I couldn't have gotten this far without other folks observations and suggestions. I really appreciate all the input I've received and welcome any positive advice or input.

The broiler egg is the light colored one. The pic is a tad blurry, sorry about that.

View attachment 2404469
Any updates @trescloudy ?

CX birds are about 2 years old now. I didnt attempt to do any breeding last season but have NHxCX eggs in my incubator right now.

I have 3 remaining CX survivors 1 rooster and 2 hens. This rooster is the most agile CX rooster ive raised and hes also the most aggressive. He was mounting ducks 2 autumns ago before he was even a year old.

I havent put CX on CX yet this season but i plan on switching up here soon. Ill put some American Bresse hens in with my CX roo too. Ill probably be hatching into July.

After that i might share some hatching eggs.

CX birds are about 2 years old now. I didnt attempt to do any breeding last season but have NHxCX eggs in my incubator right now.

I have 3 remaining CX survivors 1 rooster and 2 hens. This rooster is the most agile CX rooster ive raised and hes also the most aggressive. He was mounting ducks 2 autumns ago before he was even a year old.

I havent put CX on CX yet this season but i plan on switching up here soon. Ill put some American Bresse hens in with my CX roo too. Ill probably be hatching into July.

After that i might share some hatching eggs.
Thanks for the update ☺️

I see that trescloudy hasn't posted in a while but I'd be really interested if there's an update.

Cool to know others are interested. I think most folks here at byc are into egg birds and pets. Ill be posting more often.

In fact here are some pictures i took today. It was raining but i was there and thinking about this thread. The brown birds are New Hampshires. The white birds with blue legs are American Bresse and the 2 white hens are two year old CX.

20220503_182245.jpg

20220503_182628.jpg

20220503_182159.jpg

20220503_182205.jpg

20220503_182601.jpg
20220503_182616.jpg

Back
Top Bottom