Cornish Thread

Pics
The pair of Cornish I picked up at Crossroads, not from the breeder of those that were shown there.

She's a little small but still has time to grow and develope; and I love her head.
44349_cornish_093.jpg

Not fond of his ears/wattles/comb; but IMO as at least as good as bodied, and better headed, than the others I saw at Crossroads.............. and he may also fill in a bit more in time.
44349_cornish_098.jpg

44349_cornish_105.jpg

44349_cornish_099.jpg

Quote:
count me in Steve...

Did you move closer to me, or further away?

I won't be selling any Cornish for awhile, but if I have more eggs than I can incubate next year, I'll auction them here at BYC and let those wanting them decide what they're worth.

I'm hoping you can help me identify this chicken. I found it - or rather it found me. I came home two weeks ago and she was in my front yard. I originally thought she was a White Leghorn but now I'm not so sure. I posted in the introduction thread and a few people have suggested that she is a Cornish X. She has a hard time walking and she has a hefty appetite. She also pants a lot even though it's not hot.

I have never had chickens - I only know what I've learned by reading stuff here in the last two weeks.

Here's some pictures I took on Saturday.

P1010009.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

Quote:
Looks like a commercial meat bird that's in poor health. Though commonly called Cornish Cross, there hasn't been any Cornish used to breed them for many, many years; and the term Corish Rock or Cornish Cross more than a bit misleading.

Yes a meat bird that hasn't been fed well, fatten it up and call him Sunday dinner.

She was in worse shape when I first found her. So I guess this would not be a good pet chicken? I just want the eggs. I don't think I could do what it takes to prep her for dinner.

Quote:
if she lives until egg laying point, she'll lay about 5 eggs total in her life.. most likely she'll die before that point though-- it's in her genes.

Quote:
No not a pet chicken, and if you do get her up to weight and in good health chances are she won't make it as a layer hen, so you have a decision to make. If you can't do the deed you may be prolonging her agony. Some of us have taken these Cornish X's and raised them to laying age for breeding projects, but we adhered to strict diets and behavior, which takes a little more know how than the pet chicken person posses or is willing to do. Good luck though in whatever you do decide to do.

you can keep her as a pet as long as she lives-but they don't live long. They are bulky and do not get around very well. Be prepared to protect her from heat especially. She will not be able to manage some of the ramps etc. into the coop regular chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom