Cornish Thread

Pics
Do we have to be stalkers and beggars too?
tongue.png
I'm curious what it takes for someone who can't travel hundreds of miles to go to a show in which good ones are sold at to actually get some good stock. Apparently Cornish breeders these days don't sell eggs
wink.png
But sheesh, some people who live far from the midwest have gotta have some Cornish.

Just sayin
big_smile.png

Last edited:
One good quality cornish hen that I have produced about 50 eggs of which about 30 hatched and 15 or so made it to adulthood so if someone is retailing DC they are hatchery most likely otherwise they would need a huge flock to fill most orders and it would not be economical to use SQ DC.
Quote:
Ya, I wonder what their souce is...?? Do you suppose those eggs are hatchery quality, half bloods?

Pretty sure they're all poor hatchery stock. I'd be confident to bet on it honestly, because considering all that they sell, sounds like a typical other hatchery who got their stock from hatcheries to me. In order to maintain GOOD Cornish you'll need to pay more, and pay more attention to your stock and how it breeds, in other words, cut back on your other breeds.

Quote:
I do understand Illia, I sometimes travel unheard of distances to get birds, I don't like it and it really put's a crimp in the flock planning. The deal on egg's is that everybody knows shipping hatching eggs is such a crap shoot to begin with and these Cornish eggs seem to be even more fragile and suseptable to breakage, not to mention the eggs being a bear to hatch anyway. I like the idea of selling young adult birds, for a couple of reasons, one is that I can judge the bird better to insure you get a good one and not a future cull, and they ship better. Granted it's not cheap but is a better alternitive.

I am also in the camp that it's so hard to find and get good cornish, years ago when I started looking for good birds it took forever even find the birds and then giving my next newborn child to get this guy to sell me a few. I do plan to make some birds available to my Cornish friends who are concerned with the same goals as me, to breed to improve the breed and it's numbers, and not to spend or spin your wheels crossing them with poor choices untill they are spent and can no longer produce. The buyer must first earn my trust that they are commited and won't start messing with them in a detremental manner so as to bring down their quality. These LF birds can be very difficult to breed and one must stick with it and do whatever it takes to get great birds. That is why we tend to only end up selling to other fellow devoted cornish true guy's and then those guy's breed them better, keep more and sell less if any.

AL

Some of the Cornish from Crossroads:

The second place Dark hen.
44349_cornish_crossroads_021.jpg

My favorite of the show, a Dark hen.
44349_cornish_crossroads_022.jpg

The best Dark cockeral.
44349_cornish_crossroads_007.jpg

The winning White cockeral.
44349_cornish_crossroads_014.jpg

The Reserve White.
44349_cornish_crossroads_003.jpg

The two Buffs.
44349_cornish_crossroads_018.jpg

The winning WLR cockeral.
44349_cornish_crossroads_006.jpg

Quote:
Cornish are notoriously poor layers & tend to have fertility problems as well. Most of the Cornish breeders I know [& there aren't many of them] have enough trouble getting out the birds they need. Can't imagine why any of them would sell eggs or for that matter, given feertility issues, why anyone would buy them.

Quote:
Cornish are notoriously poor layers & tend to have fertility problems as well. Most of the Cornish breeders I know [& there aren't many of them] have enough trouble getting out the birds they need. Can't imagine why any of them would sell eggs or for that matter, given feertility issues, why anyone would buy them.

It is true that good SQ heritage LF Cornish don't lay very many egg's maybe 120-130 eggs a yr, WTS they breed fine in all varieties except for some very large older Roosters that may or may not have to be AI'd but that's only if you want to hatch. Cornish egg's are fragile and don't ship well let alone hatch because a dry hatch serves them better with better ratio's. So by making a blanket statement that they have fertility issues is mostly untrue, and that is mainly from very good stock.

Back
Top Bottom