Cornish Thread

Pics
Thank you Walt, and I do understand that with your long service in the APA/ABA coupled with your many years of experience and success at breeding must make trying to explain things to us newbies a bit trying on the patience at times.

Last edited:
Cedar~

Here is whats interesting, I have a pair of color combination BC like your paints and a third that looks to be Dark that were gifts. Well, low and be hold, if they dont have the greenest eyes out of all my Oriental chicks!

Could the eye color change as they get older? I guess, as many of my Ko's eyes change as they get older and its not untill their full year that it seems to be permanent. I am hoping they stay clear so that I can use them as the foundation into clearer pearl eyes. I am not even sure its possible but I have some good folks around me that surely know more and can help keep me straight.

Thank you Walt, and I do understand that with your long service in the APA/ABA coupled with your many years of experience and success at breeding must make trying to explain things to us newbies a bit trying on the patience at times.

It is nothing personal. I have been intensely discussing this with people on the phone, online and in person for two years.....two years!!! I have a lot of patience, but after two years I am finished with it. The SOP will not change and a Cornish should have a pearl eye. As Paulo is saying in his post, the eye color is not necessarily fixed until the bird is an adult or some time after that in the first year. I often wonder how many pearl eyed Cornish are culled before the eye color is permanent.

Walt

It is nothing personal. I have been intensely discussing this with people on the phone, online and in person for two years.....two years!!! I have a lot of patience, but after two years I am finished with it. The SOP will not change and a Cornish should have a pearl eye. As Paulo is saying in his post, the eye color is not necessarily fixed until the bird is an adult or some time after that in the first year. I often wonder how many pearl eyed Cornish are culled before the eye color is permanent.

Walt
I will not be culling anything because of eye color in the near future. LOL

Sorry to hear of Mr. Mager's death. I never knew him, but read his name several times. His family is in my prayers.

Paulo, I call those off-colored chicks of mine 'paint' or 'calico' as a joke more than anything. I know a lot of people are breeding white laced reds and whites to get a greater numbers of solid white chicks quicker, but I would have preferred to have started with a cock not carrying dominant white. I don't have faith that culling all but the grey hatchlings is a reliable way to get rid of it anyway, but not willing to do it anyway. I'm just going have to deal with having it that way for awhile, but I can have a breeding pen of pretty nice blacks that any white chicks produced from will be recessive white.

My white is supposed to be all Herring blood, so I don't if he bred WLR in or someone else did later. I'll see if I can get some pics of the calicoes off him over my DCs pretty soon. They are pretty heavily and thickly built for their age if nothing else. LOL As far as their eyes, some do look pearl but it is most likely just their chick color.

Some of my April hatched Cornish. I hope someday to look back at these pictures and wonder why I admitted publicly they were some of my keepers. lol

Yeah, I see her head, and it's the worst head I've hatched or even seen on a Cornish, but she's a big thick sow and I want to keep her. Cornish are, after all, a meat breed. [It looks a little better without one side being blocked from view, but it ain't pretty]

I've got three 'calico' cockerels hatched on the same day that are getting pretty hard to tell apart except by combs and present color . This is one of them.

This is that oldest DC, his brother is younger, smaller, and may possibly be wider when they mature. This one is staying though. I really have not paid much attention to their younger siblings, but noticed today there is at least one in there that needs to be kept as a back-up.

Couldn't get him to drop down for a relaxed pose from anywhere but from behind.

Last edited:
Is the white a LF or bantam?

w.
If you're asking that of me, those are LF hatched in mid to late April. They were averaging about 4 lbs a week or two ago, even though they had slowed eating and growing during that hot weather we had.

The pullet isn't as rounded over the top of the head as the picture looks, but is narrow headed.

For size reference, the wire in front of the DC is 12" off the ground, the floor wires are on 6 7/8" squares; its a travel crate for big dogs that I picked up at a swap for $5 because it was bent and the bottom tray was gone.

Last edited:
If you're asking that of me, those are LF hatched in mid to late April. They were averaging about 4 lbs a week or two ago, even though they had slowed eating and growing during that hot weather we had.

The pullet isn't as rounded over the top of the head as the picture looks, but is narrow headed.

For size reference, the wire in front of the DC is 12" off the ground, the floor wires are on 6 7/8" squares; its a travel crate for big dogs that I picked up at a swap for $5 because it was bent and the bottom tray was gone.

The white looks like she may need more bone. Her legs are pretty skinny for 4mo's. They are set well apart though.

Walt

The white looks like she may need more bone. Her legs are pretty skinny for 4mo's. They are set well apart though.

Walt
Right. If she takes after either of her parents they will get better, but then her head looks small and does not look like its going to be anything like either of them so
idunno.gif

From the side her head is a bit better, but still not like what I want. She's about the same weight and as wide or wider over the shoulders as her same age brothers, and [as you said] wide between the legs so I decided she stays.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom