Cornish Thread

Pics
Yes, It was a fair show. Supposed to have been sanctioned but who knows.
While none of the fairs around here are APA or ABA sanctioned, I certainly can't say the one you went to wasn't. Sometimes a fair around here has had a sanctioned judge to be the judge for them even though they are not sanctioned events. The poultry shown at our fairs are usually 4H projects and often hatchery type birds that only vaguely resemble the standard of the breed they are entered as, and are evidently not being judged so much for quality as they are on the care that has gone into caring for them and getting them ready for the show. As far as I know, the shows are not closed to anyone, or labeled as junior, showmanship, or anything else; but that is more the type they are in reality. From what I've seen, many entries will either get a blue or red ribbon.

I do hope that what you were observing was damage from a past infestation, and that the birds did not actually have live leg mites at the time they were shown.

I hope it was too, Cedarknob. But here is the fair schedule for Saturday:

"8:00-9:00am Coop in for ABA, APA and Game Bird Poultry entries"

So one would THINK they'd have a licensed judge. But maybe not. I have no idea. Like you, and I'm sure all exhibitors whose birds were close, I'm hoping that the scales are from past damage. But when debriding leg mites, I thought you took those scales off. I don't know though as I've never dealt with that.

every time i have ever treated for scaly leg mites the scales would fall of once the mites where gone... at least within a few weeks anyways...
So one would THINK they'd have a licensed judge. But maybe not. I have no idea. Like you, and I'm sure all exhibitors whose birds were close, I'm hoping that the scales are from past damage. But when debriding leg mites, I thought you took those scales off. I don't know though as I've never dealt with that.

If that is the exact wording it doesn't mean it was a sanctioned show. It has to use the words "Sanctioned meet" or Club Meet, they can refer to the ABA/APA for all kinds of reasons.. All sanctioned meets are in the clubs yearbooks.

Walt

every time i have ever treated for scaly leg mites the scales would fall of once the mites where gone... at least within a few weeks anyways...

That's correct, but it sounds as if this was a full blown case of scaly leg mites. In any event it should not have been in the show. Sometimes OLD Cornish will have some scales popped up between the foot and the leg, but this sounds like a problem.

Walt

I would think it was a sanctioned event. I may actually have been wrong about our own local county fairs. I have not shown at any of them since I was a kid; and when I did show it was cattle or horses, and have only walked through the poultry areas of some just to look. I started reading the announcements of near-by county fairs this year only because I would like to get the actual experience of entering a bird in a sanctioned show with out a long drive to one, and have not seen any, so far, advertised as sanctioned by anybody. [I think I remember showing at a county fair where the horse show was sanctioned by the IL State Stock Horse A. when I was a kid. I do remember seeing an animal dismissed that had an injury, but don't recall ever seeing one with any signs of parasites or illness.]

So far, the nearest sanctioned poultry show I've found is in Peoria, IL, but have not been able to get to that one. Every sanctioned poultry show I have been to so far had a Fri night coop-in deadline and a designated Sunday coop-out time, though I know one show allowed a winning bird to leave a day early. [I bought it before the judging took place and evidently they gave the owner permission to turn it over to me about an hour later so I could take it home. She had to spend another night there and attend an awards presentation ceremony of some sort the next day before cooping out the remainder of her birds.]

edited to add I see Walt explained that it might not have been a sanctioned show after all.

Last edited:
Scales on the legs and down into the toes just sticking up like potato chips. On not one but 3 birds. Now I know, thanks you to folks, not to take anything to a show unless I know for sure it's sanctioned. The Bluebonnet Classic is coming up in January here and I know it is but not sure if I'll be able to make that one.

Two of them were nice looking cornish though to this untrained eye. They were close to the last ones pictured here in appearance and I think you could drive a truck through those legs.

Last edited:
A succession of pictures of the same bird.

His keel bone was still quite obvious, even sitting down, in this picture when I referred to him as 'ugly as sin' but one I liked.

The muscle has been slowly filling the void between the upper bulge of his chest and his thighs, and the keel is flush now. I think he will continue to fill in that area and hope that the keel will eventually lie in a valley there

Back
Top Bottom