Cornish Thread

Pics
yuckyuck.gif

Walt, you know I am not a moderator, and to be honest I would not want the position if it were offered. I do think that whoever said they were sure that you don't want to change this thread to suit your own purposes was wrong though. Personally I would prefer to see it remain a thread where everyone interested in Cornish, even those with hatchery type Cornish, feel welcome. If they able to see the difference between those sold by a hatchery and those that are at least aimed towards the SOP they will, and if they like one better than the other they can make their choice between the two. if they choose to breed whatever they have towards the SOP or away from it that's their business IMO. I want to breed towards it with what I have. If you want to know why I'm doing it, I've stated that, but so you will not have to re-read, the goal of breeding my birds closer to the SOP is one of my pleasures in life and motivates me to get out of my chair on days when I would not if I did not have to feed and water them. If you do succeed in driving off all but the very few who are interested in having and breeding good Cornish right at this particular point in time, I will still be hanging here.

I had read the words 'crow-headed' just one time before you used it. I had already said I didn't like the head my own pullet that does have a head that is built like a crow's. Aviengem's bantam might be a little smaller headed than some, but does not look like the shape of a crow's head to me, and I've seen pictures of Cornish that looked to have lighter heads and much lighter bone. Her legs appear pale yellow to me, in a picture obviously washed of color to my eyes. She may not have the genetics for great leg color, she may have had better colored legs and lost them. I don't care either way because she's his bantam and I'm not looking for one. I have to wonder if you chose her to point out some flaws, when you never on most other people's less than perfect birds, because he dared to challenge your statement of what you look for as pearl eyes on the pictures of your own birds that you posted demonstrating their pearl eyes. If you meant to say that these will get you by to escape a 2 point deduction in a show, or they're a step in the direction of the beginning of breeding better colored eyes, or that you tried and failed to get better ones, I missed it.

Paulo, I am not a sanctioned judge nor anything else related to Cornish or poultry other than a newbie trying to improve his birds. I do like learning about quality Cornish here, but do not really want the thread to become one where people with Cornish that are less than worthy of a win in an APA or ABA sanctioned event do not feel comfortable on. I do have some respect for the feelings of others, and think that people are more important than the quality of their birds, though sometimes probably fail to show it. As I said of the breeder that my DCs came from, I think Walt is perfectly capable of picking three LF Cornish for me that will produce a show winner. That would take away from the pleasure and challenge of picking and choosing from my own and improving them towards the SOP, and make the Walt the breeder of them anyway. My thinking is that if he wants to breed show winning LF Cornish, he should go get some. LOL I suppose it possible that enough people might want to come here to get their Cornish evaluated to make this a thread dedicated to that purpose, but doubt it.

Last edited:
It is EASY to criticize others.

Get out there and do something, stop criticizing. What are you bringing to the table?

Show me the birds.

This applies to ALL out there. People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks.

Walt, I hope that you are not upset about the fact that the aseel pictured displayed eyes that were not pearl. Whether it is the monitor, pixels, or whatever is irrelevant to me. This forum is all about sharing and learning as far as I am concerned. I post in with absolubtly non-malicious intent. It is what it is - as they say.

I am not "thick skinned". I just don't care. I always say "Everyone is entitled to be WRONG". I know what I have. I have very good mentors / friends to guide me along the way. If you want to beat me you better breed. I dont go to lose.

For all the critics - have at it. Critricize those.

All this talk about the eye color made me go look at my birds more closely. I have one hen who's eye is a little yellow tinted. I then looked at my juvies and all have the lovely pearl. So then, I went to my Splash Laced boy's and his a PERFECT!

But as I was looking over the juvies, I noticed the only pullet in the one brooder had a lumpy eye. I pulled her out and had to lance a pea sized lump of crud where she must have gotten a plugged tear duct that got gunky. She should recover just fine. Luckily, the pen next to that one has 6 or 7 girls in it and not as many of the boys. I am finding a very disproportionate number of males in all breeds this year.
somad.gif

I need to get the camera out there and snap a few pictures of my kids.

Quote: More than one out of 10 is a disproportional number to me.
tongue.png
I probably have about a 50/50 mix, just too few of either sexes to select from period and way to few when one was wanting to cull heavily, but let himself get beat out of the job by a badger.

I was pleasantly shocked to see a 'calico' cockerel, that I will probably have to keep, drop his wing and dance for a pullet today; they're only 4 months old.. She headed off to another place nearly as fast as the last woman did when I invited her out for supper.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Get out there and do something, stop criticizing. What are you bringing to the table?

Show me the birds.

This applies to ALL out there. People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks.

Walt, I hope that you are not upset about the fact that the aseel pictured displayed eyes that were not pearl. Whether it is the monitor, pixels, or whatever is irrelevant to me. This forum is all about sharing and learning as far as I am concerned. I post in with absolubtly non-malicious intent. It is what it is - as they say.

I am not "thick skinned". I just don't care. I always say "Everyone is entitled to be WRONG". I know what I have. I have very good mentors / friends to guide me along the way. If you want to beat me you better breed. I dont go to lose.

For all the critics - have at it. Critricize those.

Alright, you asked for it-those are some pretty nice looking Cornish. Love the condition as I know how hard it is to keep them in good feather.

More than one out of 10 is a disproportional number to me. :p  I probably have about a 50/50 mix, just too few of either sexes to select from period  and wato few when one was wanting to cull heavily, but let himself get beat out of the job by a badger.

I was pleasantly shocked to see a 'calico' cockerel, that I will probably have to keep, drop his wing and dance for a pullet today; they're only 4 months old.. She headed off to another place nearly as fast as the last woman did when I invited her out for supper.  :lau   

:yuckyuck

Get out there and do something, stop criticizing.  What are you bringing to the table?

Show me the birds.

This applies to ALL out there.  People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks.

Walt,  I hope that you are not upset about the fact that the aseel pictured displayed eyes that were not pearl.  Whether it is the monitor, pixels, or whatever is irrelevant to me.  This forum is all about sharing and learning as far as I am concerned.  I post in with absolubtly non-malicious intent.  It is what it is - as they say.

I am not "thick skinned".  I just don't care.  I always say "Everyone is entitled to be WRONG".  I know what I have.  I have very good mentors / friends to guide me along the way.  If you want to beat me you better breed.  I dont go to lose.

For all the critics - have at it.  Critricize those.

I am not as experienced as others, but I like the head on these two Darks.....short beak, round and wide...

Back
Top Bottom